Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator rubber

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 26, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm finishing up my motor swap. When I took out the old radiator, I noticed 1 thin rubber Thing on the passenger side, under the radiator. it has a little rubber nipple on the bottom of it. Was there supposed to be 2 of these things? what are they called? if I'm unclear, I guess I could snap a photo. I just want to put the truck back together correctly, and not rattle my radiator to death.
    thanks,
    James ;)

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Should be two topside and two bottom. It's a dealer and LMC part ... "radiator support pad" is what LMC calls them. I couldn't find them locally when I did mine, even from the Motormite "Help!" stuff. :(

Notably, my truck had cut heater hoses holding the radiator in when I bought it. :doah:

-- A

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The one for the drivers side is prolly still in the lower radiator support. They are just isolators to prevent vibration damage to the radiator.

Ira

4. 78Suburban

:doah:
    That is NOT what I wanted to hear :eek1: stealership or lick my crotch.. hmm..either one will probably charge me more than my motor cost, and make me wait a month :crazy: .. what if I used some rubber of similar thickness? I'm going to go out there right now and do some searching, to see if I lost one of them.
    thanks,
    James

5. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

go to chevyduty.com they have them

6. 78Suburban

found it

:D it had fallen off and got caught down by my steering box. I now have all 4. :laugh: I'm such an idiot sometimes.
    thanks,
    james

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

dealership....$8 for all 4 :thumb:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

used...

JUNKYARD!!--FREE!!:D ..they usually don't charge me for trinkets like that..just don't try to pocket them!--

I learned by watching some other dudes get told to empty their pockets at the gate,and get "busted" with fuses,radio knobs,etc..they kicked them out,and said to never come back!.. but I show the owner EVERTHING I took off,including bolts,etc..and he just grins and says "honest folks get that stuff no charge!"..

I've had several radiators come out of trucks with heater hose,pipe insulation,peices of tires,and old carpeting used in place of those "rubbers"..not a big deal,the right ones only LOOK better IMO!!..:crazy:

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FYI the pads "lock" into the core and brackets with the little nubs, but on the '81+ trucks at least I haven't found a way to put the new pads in and have the nub actually lock into the lower mounts.

It just makes it a lot easier when they stay in place, if you can get them to lock into the holes.