Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator(s)/Fan Blade(s)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backcountry, Nov 16, 2005.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Hello all! :D

In my previous post concerning engine vibration, diesel4me mentioned that my fan blade could be bent causing the vibration. Well, I visually checked my fan blade and it appears to have a wobble. I am going to remove the fan belt a see if the vibration goes away. In the event that it does, I am considering replacing the radiator and installing an electric fan with shroud.

I have a 1973 K10 with a 350 engine and a manual transmission. It currently has a 3 core radiator however it sits below the level of the radiator support.

One of my co-workers has a 1978 K10 that has an automatic transmission. He currently has a 350 in it; however he said it originally had a 400. I noticed that his radiator sits flush with the top of his radiator support.

My questions to you all are; what radiator will fit my application and witch fan assembly would you recommend? :dunno:

Any and all help would be much appreciated! :thumb:

Thank you!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock clutch fans are very effective. Electric fans are more for show than anything really, idle cooling is about the only place an electric fan may be more efficient. (edit: and deep water crossings for you hard core guys!:))

Windstar fans are supposed to be excellent, there are writeups here on that, if you search you'll find the threads about them.

If your fan is wobbling, it probably isn't working right anyway.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

You need to be able to shut your fan off for deep water crossings as well. That's why I installed mine.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You just need the hold down brackets for the taller radiator . Yours is the short one , his is the tall one . If you go electric , then don't worry about the fan shroud at all .

I have had both , one on each truck . But I am making it so both have the tall one .

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I had a friend tell me last night that my wobble was due to my water pump being shot.

but my pullies moves, which the fan is connected to, does you pullie move, or just the fan assembly?

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

The pulley is bolted to the waterpump shaft. So by the belt turning the pulley, it turns the fan and the waterpump at the same time. Your pump could be shot as well, or alone, or not at all.

7. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

pull the pulley then grab the water pump shaft and see if it moves around if so then the pump would be bad if not you can just replace the clutch that is on your old fan unless it is bent