Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Shroud

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shanemcg45, Mar 12, 2005.

1. shanemcg45

shanemcg45 Registered Member

Are radiator shrouds that neccesary? I'm putting on ORD's 1" body lift and I was going to Sawzall some of the bottom of the shroud off but then I started thinking about just taking the whole thing off. It's a DD so would it cause any problems?:confused:

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

The shroud acts as a tunnel so to speak to force cool air towards the radiator. Taking it off kills the effect and can make you run a lil warmer.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yes, he is correct. The shroud makes sure that the air flows *though* the radiator. I wouldn't take it off.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you have a 2pc shroud, just put in some spacers and space the bottom down,if its a 1 pc, trim as little as possible, i had to cut alot off mine, doesnt heat up, but if keep as much of one as you can. Plus looks better than a fan stickin out there by itself, and keep your hands out of the fan, and a good place to lay tools to forget them.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I did that to one of my f**d's a while back and 3 weeks later I blew a head gasket, not sur eif they are related but I do remember runnin warmer.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Another thing to consider would be the Winstar fan conversion. I would never go back. In fact, I wish I had done it a lot sooner. I get MUCH quicker warmups, and my temp is a lot more consistant. I haven't had to worry about engine temps ever since then, and I use to have to worry all the time. Since you just mount them directly to your radiator, it doesn't matter where the engine is.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had my old truck setup with built 400 sbc ( hot running motors) and th350 . with 1 ton 4.10 axles and 38 TSLs . pulled my friends truck down the highway at 60-65 dead tow and sat at 210 all the time. and when not in working it 210 all the time. put shroud on and might have droped 5-10 deg at most. this was with tall rad and 3 core. all on a long bed truck that tiped the scale at about 6500 lbs.
    i took the stapels out and seperated the 2 halfs. then i took some plastic h20 tube from hardware store and cut 6 pieces 3" long. then drilled 3 hole per side and got long bolts with nylock nuts so thay wouldnt vibrate loose and or crush the plastis. put all together and filled the gaps with some thin aluminum, from my friends house remodel job (window flashing). cut 2 groves to clear the core support at bottom and reatached it and fit great.

fan shroud 003.jpg

fan shroud 005.jpg

fan shroud 006.jpg