Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator size 17" or 19"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwc, Nov 18, 2005.

1. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

I have a 91 Jimmy (auto, a/c) that needs a new radiator. The truck also has the factory "heavy duty trailering special equipment" package.

GM dealer came up with two part numbers:

52481619 radiator core size 28 3/8"x19 3/16"x1 7/16"

52479539 radiator core size, 28 5/16"x16 7/8"x1 1/4"

Local parts store also lists a 17" and a 19" radiator. They asked me if I had "heavy duty cooling" and I wasn't sure but I assume I do with the tow package. My truck is an hour away so I can't measure right now. Anybody know for sure? :confused: :confused: I would like to pick up the radiator on my way out tomorrow

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You should have the tall radiator . Without measuring , the way to tell is the mounts on the radiator support . Over the top is tall , below the top is short .

3. fwc

not sure what you mean about the mounts on the support, got a picture?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the 2 clamps that hold the radiator to the core suport are on top of the support for tall. or thay are on the back side towards the fan of the engine. as the rad is shorter . if needed just measure the highth of the center section of the rad. but with all the info on the rig you listed its going to be the tall unit.

5. fwc

Thanks for the explanation. I found this post which seems to explain it as well

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123950

Strange thing is, when I gave the GM dealer the VIN they gave me the part number for the 17" (16 7/8)

Now I just need to go look at the truck to make sure its a 19"

The local parts store stocks Visteon radiators, they said it was a single core aluminum with plastic side tanks. Any comments on the quality of this? How about GoDan brand?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

best look at what you got. also if the fan shroud is level with the rad support its tall. and if below rad support its short. easy swap to big if you want. just need the upper bracket tabs and fan shroud from tall setup.

7. fwc

Just called my pops and had him take a look. Seems like its the tall 19". He said that the radiator top brackets bolt down into the support from the top and come back to hold the top of the radiator, kind of like this

front___/--------bracket-------\_______back
    |support|..................................|radiator|

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  8. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

Yup, it's 19" just did mine last weekend. Napa. 165bones. The tall is heavyduty 3core. :laugh:

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just for giggles, what does the GM dealer want for a radiator? I just bought the tall, 3-core for my '90 Suburban for $149 at Autozone, with a lifetime warranty.

10. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Wow radiators are getting pricey. I stuffed a 4 core into my old burb a couple of years ago and it only cot around 160 bucks. If you could I would get a 4 core cause it is next to imposible to over heat with one. You will have to bend the old 19" brackets sligtly and modify the fan shroud but it can be done.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

4 cores are around $200 now. But then you also have to buy new mounts and the correct shroud. A 3-core will work fine if properly maintained. Most overheating problems are caused by 20+ year old radiators that are filled with calcium deposits and other sludge.

12. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the mounts on my 90 today and are you sure that the mounts need to be replaced when going from a 3 core to a 4? My mounts look like they would fit a 4 ok, maybe the rubber would need to be trimmed.

Dan..

13. fwc

Looked at the radiator in the truck and it was a 19" tall model. Got a replacement radiator from Advance Auto for ~150 Transpro (Modine) Model 433716. I never did get a price from the local dealer although GMpartsdirect was about 190 for what they claimed was a delco radiator.