Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Size: does it matter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91VJimmy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. 91VJimmy

91VJimmy Registered Member

Hi all,

I have a '91 Jimmy (like the sn says) and need a new radiator. There's a leak at the top that sprays a light mist of coolant into the fan shroud.

Anyway, is there any difference in using a 19" tall radiator vs. a 17" tall unit? Radiators.com needs to know which I have. Also, a friend has a 4-core unit hanging around (brand new). Is there any difference between the GM 350 car radiator and 350 truck radiator? Will certain measurements fit while others won't?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if your radiator mounts bolts to the top of the core support you have the 19" core. the mounts are different for the 17" core and bolt to the back (engine side) of the core support. either mount will bolt to your support. the fan shroud is also different.

if you go with a 4 core, you need to get 4 core mounts for the size core you have. they are different between the 2 and 3 core radiators.

the core has to be the right width and height (hard to find a tall one in a car) and have the hoses in the same area.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, the PO of my truck put in what must be the 17" tall unit ... where a 19" had been. They solved the height issue by cutting heater hose and duct taping it into place underneath. :angry1:

If you're gonna put in the other-size-than-what-you-have, you'll need to change the rubber mounts and top and bottom, plus maybe something up top? I just put in the right size for the truck, and voila, it fits without vibrating all to hell (gee, wonder why the fittings leaked?)

-- A

4. 91VJimmy

I know now that it's the 19" radiator. Thanks for the input.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Going to a 4 core is never a bad thing. Just need to get the upper mounting brackets since it is thicker.

6. 91VJimmy

Okay, now I have just one more Q;

I am 100% sure I have a 19" tall core. I also have the brass endtanks. Radiator.com told me they have all-metal and metal/plastic radiators. I can get a junkyard one for $85 but can't be sure if it's the correct one until I get out there. Also, there is no return on that--only credit. The online one is $139 with a 1-year warranty. What should I do? I'm not committed to this truck for much longer than a few months, but it needs to travel a lot in that short amount of time.

I suppose my question is whether or not the plastic endtanks are standard in the GMC Jimmy, and whether or not they came on the 3-core radiator (A/C and AT). Thanks for the help.

Dave

7. four_by_ken

I got mine from www.1800radiator.com, I think it was more than $139. But, I got a 4 core. I know it was less than $200 shipped.

I would go for a new one. Some things I just dont do used.
    Radiators being one of them.

8. four_by_ken

Oh, and mine is all metal.

9. 91VJimmy

Yeah, I don't think a junker is the way to go either. If you had to junk a K5, then you probably didn't give a crap about it from the start. :D

I will go with the internet one.

Thanks, Ken.

Dave

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

plastic tanks are ALWAYS a bad idea:xmas:

11. 91VJimmy

Yeah, you're talking to a former SHO owner here. First one I had split the tanks after a few weeks of ownership. (No Ford cracks here, that's a Yamaha motor and Mazda drivetrain!)

12. four_by_ken

Oh yeah, I meant to say that too... No thanks to the plastic.