Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator size

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Dec 19, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Anyone know off the top of there heads, what size radiator fits in a K-5. Now that I am keeping her, the BBC is going in January and I still need to solve the radiator issue. Definetly thinking about aluminum, anyone know any drawbacks beside price?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Freakin' huge. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Aluminum is an awesome heatsink and makes a great radiator. But the stock 454 radiator is pretty big and will do the job for all but the wildest engines. The best part is that it's only $227 from www.radiator.com. Here's a link to one from a 1990 454 powered Suburban with auto tranny cooler: 454 Radiator

Oh yeah, knock off 10% for being a CK5 member. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Harry, the one in my crew cab I just bought is HUGE /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I can get a pic of it tomorrow for ya if ya want. Just went out and measured it, its about 3 1/2 inches thick.

4. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

yeah, as stated before a good 4core bigblock radiator shoudl do just fine, and if you are feeling liek it really won't be enough then you can go get a deisel radiator from your local junkyard and mount that beast.

-Scott

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, the diesel Rad is a monster...it easily takes up most of the room behind the rad support and is 4 core./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Not cheap though...I seem to recall it was over $400 at Radiator.com

Rene