Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator size

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4_76, Apr 9, 2003.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I need to buy diesel radiator to my truck.It's ex-gasser so it has gassers radiator.Now it started to leak so it needs replacement.
    There have been a few for sale adds of diesel van radiators,but not one from truck/Blazer.
    Are they even close to same size?

2. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I tried Google,but didn't get any goog results.I found out that pick-up/Blazer diesel radiator core size is 34x19",but only van's core size I found was 350cid engines 28x19" heavy duty 3-row.
    Is 28" max. widht that fits in van?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd guess if the rad was from a 6.2 diesel Van it would do fine in anything else with a 6.2...

Rene

4. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I would say to go to a parts house that can order the cores and check their books for dimensional specifications. Also, I bet a radiator shop could tell you what will and what won't fit.

Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you should go to a radiator shop and tell them to put 3 new rows in your old radiator.That way you´ll get a new one for less money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

My radiator core is just fine,it's the tanks that leak.Also,because it's a gasser rad,it has smaller hose connections than diesel.When I swapped engines,I cut small lenght from gasser hose and inserted it on the rads hose connection so I could use 6.2 lower hose.Upper is made of 5.7 diesel and gasser hoses.
    I think that coolant flow is resticted because of those small connections.
    One more thing...I don't have oil cooler on that rad,so that is a big minus.It has worked just fine on light use,but that needs to be fixed.
    If I don't find one at the end of the next week,I guess I borrow rad from my brothers project Suburban.

I did ask a new rad from one shop,and they told it would cost about $540 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try www.radiator.com and/or www.arrowheadradiator.com

Both are advertisers of CK5 and give a 10% discount (well worth the price of membership /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

I realize your location may have alot to do with the price, but even paying for a membership, buying a radiator, and having it shipped, should be 1/2 the price you were quoted.

On Arrowhead.com I priced a Heavy Duty radiator for an 86 equipped with a diesel and it was 238 USD, a regular duty was 223 USD

If you go with a four core Big Block radiator, it costs 160 USD. The only thing you may have to do it get 4 new radiator cushions.