Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Support Swap?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rd durham, May 13, 2005.

1. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

Getting ready to start the conversion of my 1979 Jimmy to diesel. Time line isn't too tight as I don't plan on having it street ready until sometime this fall.

I will be using the radiator, motor (6.2L), transmission (TH400) and transfer case (NP208) out of a CUCV Blazer. The one question I've haven't resolved yet is the use of the later model radiator support. Can I just use the later model (1981-87) radiator support with the Jimmy's front clip or do I need to swap out the entire front clip? The reason I ask is that I may not have all the funds just now to swap out an entire front clip out of a later model truck.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have an easier way to do this... Find a radiator from a 73-80 truck with a 454 and have the diesel tanks installed on that core (or just have your diesel radiator recored with a new one). The 454 fan shroud and radiator hold down bracket is a perfect fit on my 6.2 in my '79. New 454 fan shrouds are about $26 in the Chevy Duty catalog. The hold down bracket was something like $15.

I can get some pics of my setup this weekend. Looks 100% stock, actually looks cleaner than stock :grin: