Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator swap ??- 85 6.2 rad into 77 possible

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m j, Jun 16, 2004.

1. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the rad in a 1985 6.2 k10 looks huge and has a built in oil cooler
    is this a bolt it in and go type swap or will I be fabbing half a rad support?

thanks in advance for any help

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my 83 350 2 core radiator fit my friends 78 350 truck perfect. is the 6.2 rad a 4 core? i think if its 19" tall then it will fit, you may need to get a 4 core rad mount /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The deisel radiators that I have seen in the junkyards around here are about 8 or 10 inches wider than the standard 3 or 4 core. The extra width is not split equally on both sides but all on one side, the passenger side if I remember right. It would be a good idea to get the fan shroud also. Back when I seen the deisel radiator, I looked at the top of my core support (89 K5, different than 77) and it had another set of holes on the top to put the bracket for the deisel. I didn't look at the bottom of the core support to see if the bottom rubber mount could be moved over.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My '84 has the diesel radiator. There are mounting holes for the bracket to fit a smaller standard gas radiator, because '84s could have either. Don't know if that will be true for a '77.

My opinion is that for cooling wider is better than thicker. So I think that if you can get the wider diesel radiator it would be better than a 4-core standard radiator.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You'll most likely have to fab a lower support Mike. As mentioned the 6.2 rad is quite a bit wider and the extra width is all to one side. The bottom of the 82 and up core supports have the notches and junk for the rad support pieces to bolt into.

The upper part of the rad support is similar.

Nothing that can't be overcome with a little simple fab, but it could be a PITA.

Why not swap a 81-up front clip on while you're at it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rene

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My opinion is that for cooling wider is better than thicker. So I think that if you can get the wider diesel radiator it would be better than a 4-core standard radiator.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, wider is better than thicker. I have read articles to prove this. On a 4 core the extra core doesn't really cool that well because the air is already real hot by the time it makes it through the first 3 cores. Wider gives you that much more surface area for cool air to pass and carry out the hot.

As stated above some fab work would be required, but definitely worth it if you are having cooling issues.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I will go to a nice 4 headlight clip one of these days
    the new sheetmetal I put on in 95 is still too nice to discard
    I even have a really nice old style rad support waiting to replace my old one

the 77 nose is so ugly

tempting to lower the rad a few inches if I have to fab...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The diesel rad is also very tall compared to the others. It takes up all of the core support in my truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope these help a little.

Rene

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Was looking at the rad in my Dad's '79 C20 w/BBC. AFAICT, it's the same big mofo that's in my '84 Burb with 6.2L. (except for the engine oil cooler).

Rad is at tall as the rad support (19"?) and tight to the battery tray on the drivers side and tight to the air intake on the passenger side.