Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Swap questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duece21, May 12, 2004.

1. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I found a nice hole in my rad tuesday after test driving it. Just got done fixing intake, and other gaskets now this. Anyways, is there a certain year that will fit in my 87 or have they kept the rad's pretty much the same. I was at pull n save and saw a couple of burbs there and was wondering if I could take one out of it and just swap over?

Thanks in advance,
    Jesse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im preaty sure they are changable from 81-87,91. once thing to watch tou for is the height of the rad. you will need new brackets if you get the wrong height. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just checked online at napa, autozone, checker and I queried on 81,87,91 blazer and sub, the best radiators are SAME part number for all years (81-91) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I just hope it quits raining now so I can go get one. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

FWIW it's worth I had a rad in my K5 that I pulled from my old '78 Sub.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unless you can get it flowtested, I will argue against using ANY unknown condition radiator.

BTDT, a radiator that appears perfectly fine inside and out can and will give you ALL kinds of grief. For the cost of a new radiator, you are doing yourself a big favor.

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Consider the 6.2 diesel radiator if you need more cooling. I have one in front of my 5.7. If you're ok with stock, don't bother.

8. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Heck, I wouldn't mind a 6.2 in there w/ that radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, How much is a new rad for these things. I am pretty much stock so there is no need for the 6.2 rad. Would like to eventually upgrade, but funds are tight right now!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I paid 120 clams for a new one from the 'Zone...

10. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

120 eh, Not cheap, I might see, if I can pull that rad from pull n save and if I can get it cheap, take it to Denver Rad. and have them check it out. If not, 120 clams it is. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Did I mention it has a lifetime warranty??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I looked into getting my old repaired and it was going to be about 90 bones total, so 120 for a brand new one didn't sound so bad...plus I needed one on a Sunday... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

as long as you can find one thats same size then it wil work, going to a diesel or any other 4 core rad will cause modifications to have to be made that you probably wouldnt want to have to do, mainly with the mounting brackets, also diesle radiators have larger trany cooler lines and ports, wotn work for gas,.

the height is what mainly changed throughout the years 67-87, 67-72 are not as tall and soem of the 73-up are shorter than others too.
    all depended on drivetrain installed and year and model, its prety random really. tape measure will help you when you hunt for replacement one in a yard, if you can find one in a yard thats full of of nice green fluid then there ya go it should be fine, i have commonly found replacement radiators in like new shape in 100 or less dollar junkers ive dragged up here, four cores included, yuo would be surprised what yuo can find in a rusted junker
    good luck

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Quite a few GM fullsize cars(older Impala's ,Caprice,and Chevelle)same radiator as the K5 and the pickups.I scored a mint one in a 76 caddy with a 500 that was on the back of a ramp truck on its way to the crusher---whoever owned it must have replaced the radiator very recently,because the part # tag was still on it(and it was a modine too!)---the car had over 300 bucks worth of new cooling system parts(and a nearly new midas exhaust)new radiator hoses,belts,water pump,thermostat---the previous owner got mad and junked it when it still overheated.A friend bought the motor and tranny for 200 bucks!.It probably only needs head gaskets and some new freeze plugs(leaky)--it runs good!.You DO never know what treasure lurks under the hood of theese rusted hulks,huh?. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif