Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Temp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Oct 19, 2001.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

I've got an 88 Blazer with a TBI 350. Was having problems with the temp getting to about 230-240ish then kicking down to 210 or slightly lower. Had been running a 190 thermasat. Thought this was the culptric, not opening properly & sticking a little. So I replaced it & nothing was fixed. Could this be a bad engine coolant temp sensor (ECT)? Or possibly signs of the waterpump going bad? Open to suggestions on this one. Thanks for your help!!!!

- Jay

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

Not sure about your blazer but most TBI and TPI the cooling fan is set to turn on at 227 degrees

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you think its a coolant sensor problem, check the radiator fluid temp after driving it. One of those oven thermometers will work. A lot of times, internal corrosion will just slow coolant flow down too much, and you end up overheating that way. Check locally, someone may flow test it for free if you bring it in. They are easy to pull.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help! I'm most likely just gonna replace the ECT. Hammer, I've got a flex flan so that may not be the problem.

- Jay

5. Grtwhite, check the inside of your radiator. I had the same problem with my 89 K5 and the radiator was plugged up from the previous owner not flushing the cooling system.

Later,
    Doug

4 wheelin's not a job, it's an adventure!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think the clutch fan is more efficient than a flex fan...as the RPM's increase the flex fan flattens and actually blocks airflow through the rad. A good shroud is also important...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Banshee,
    Thanks, didn't even think of that. Had the radiator replaced less than 2 yrs ago. Have been running that pink longer life antifreeze. But its worth a shot, giving it a flush.

- Jay

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I have the same blazer with a 4 core and it has a 195' therm it runs below 180 most of the time may cycle up to 210 every so often the 4 core is the way to go

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

never run a flex fan on these trucks at hwy speeds it will kill the truck.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11