Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator, worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Jul 26, 2000.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I found a brand new 3 core radiator for $144.99. They also have a brand new 4 core, but it is $289.99. Is it really worth that much more money to go with the 4 core instead of the 3 core?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It really depends on what you use your truck for and where you use it. If you do lots of towing in say, AZ or Texas, the four core could be worth the extra money. However, if your rig is mostly a daily driver with occasional off-road use, a 3 core should be more than ample. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the factory rad is only a 2 core, and mine lasted 16 years. Just so you know, I replaced it with a 3 core and use my Blazer for towing all summer.

You also might opt for the bigger rad if you have a high output motor, or a hot 400. As far as I'm concerned, the extra 140 bucks is worth it if it saves you from overheating and damaging the internals of your motor.......

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Thats very pricey for a 4 core. I found a new 4 core at Autozone for $175. Give them a call and tell them you have an 86 1 Ton Chevy with 454, so you'll get the big rad.

4. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

My 84 needs a new one but I just wanted to know if this is a drop in or do you need to change the upper or lower mounts? Thanks!

Getsome

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I got a brand new lifetime guarantee radiator(3 row) from Autozone for 110 dollars. 144 isnt bad, one of the guys I work with paid 400 for one!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Drop in? Actually ...

Yes, but no. It is ALMOST a drop in deal. What you will need to convert to a 4 row, is the big block(BB) radiator top bracket, the rubber mounts, and the shroud. The BB bracket is one full piece, and the rubbers are wider. I did trim the heck out of my small block (SB) shroud, and make it fit, but it is real close to the a/c compressor. So close that when I took it for a test drive, the rivets on the a/c clutch did a little shroud trimming of their own.I plan to replace it with the BB shroud, if I can find one to check out. The difference between the BB and SB is the a/c is mounted on opposite sides. I am not sure yet that the BB shroud will clear the SB a/c...

BTW- I paid $189.00 for my 4 row from a radiator shop. It is supposed to be a "high effiency" core, but who knows...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/

7. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Re: Drop in? Actually ...

Thanks for all the info on the 4core swap. In the next week I should have it installed. Thanks again

Getsome

8. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Well if big is good...

Bigger has to be better. I was having over heating problems, and I already had a 3 row. I figured I may as well get the biggest I could, within reason. It did make a big difference in cooling. I had to sit in traffic for 30-40 minutes with almost no movement. The outside temp was 103, and I had the a/c blowing on max. The temp gauge never got above the first mark. I have no idea what temp that is, but it's cold enough for me...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/

9. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll try the '86 one ton chevy trick and see what happens.