Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazy427, Aug 1, 2004.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

What kind of radiator is everyone using... I have a 3 row modine in my truck now, It is 2 years old and was working great with my old engine. Now that i have my 350hp--450torgue 383 in my trunk , it runs hot on the highway. I have a new thermostat, rad cap, hoses, and water pump.I also have a 1 year old heavyduty clutch fan and a good shroud on the truck. coolant Flow is good and there is no restrictions of air flow across the radiator. i tried a black magic electric fan ( which i am trying to sell /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) but it was basically the same. Now it can sit a idle all day long and never move over 160. it is only when i take it on the highway. Thats why i feel it is a not enought radaitor problem. I know modine makes a 4 row and ofcoarse there is the million dollar Becool set-up. but do i have any other options?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm running a stock GM(whatever brand it is)4 core in my burb with no problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

how thick is the 4 core? 2 inches? or larger?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You say you have a new 383. Did it come with the right water pump for your belt system? your profile sauys you have a 89. The serpentine belt system have a reverse rotation water pump. If you dont have the right pump it wont folw at high speeds.
    is the thermostat in right side up?

5. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I ahve the right water pump and i have good flow, also the thermostat is i corectly, I also made sure to use the correct intake maniflod gasket and i made sure the timing is good and i have good fual presure at idle and under load.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifthis sucks...im goin camping in a few day and i need to get this straitened out.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Seems like a good Modine 3 core would be plenty for a SBC. I have a 3 core in my 89. I have no cooling problems at all even when towing in the hot weather.

Are you running the stock TBI/chip in that 383? What kind of cam?
    You may be running lean and need a chip burned for the 383
    How hot is it getting?

7. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

The engine came with a custom chip that was burned for my--670 tbi, 80 lbs venom injectors, edelbrock aluminum intake, and full length headers with dual exhuast. plus they built the engine and new the cam specs and it is 9.5 to 1 compression. it runs like a champ and there is no sign of a lean condition. what i have done is i ordered a 85 suburban 4 row radiator from th local cooling system shop and am installing it right now. just have to modify the upper hold downs and i will run it and see how it is.

Ill kept everyone posted.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

WOW! Sounds like you built it right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now that I see what you have.I would say that with the higher compression and all the performance stuff you have on that mill. A 4 core radiator would be in order.
    Hope it works out for ya. I cant think of anything else that could be wrong.

9. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

yeah it sucks whaen you have to go back to basics... and then you still cannt figure it out... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif. well all looks good now, i guess that 3 row just wasnt enought to kept my monster cool.I installed a modine #730 4 row heavy duty radiator, was a direct bolt in to my truck (besides the width)Now it seems to be all good, but im goin camping this weekend so that will be the test.was easy swap in, i ordered the correct passengerside hold down from the dealer along with the rubber grommets. unforunatly the driver side mount is discontinued so i modified my old mount by cutting it in half and welding in a 1 inch piece of metal in . it worked great. I recomend it to everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always been willing too spend alittle more (When I've got it) on the better parts. When replacing a Radiator, I always buy the biggest one that'll fit. Get one built too cool a 454 even though you're only running a 350. Sometimes you can save a few bucks by having a local Radiator shop build one for you.