Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Mar 11, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 k5 350 and i am going to be replacing my radiator soon and i was wondering if i should go with an aluminum one, they are more money but are they worth it, or should i just go with a stock replacement copper brass one, thanks.

I would rather push a chevy than drive a ford

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If youre concerned about cooling, maybe it would be cheaper to get a 4 core radiator from radiator.com. That's what I got for my 454.

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I run a 4-core modine, ive had it for years, it doesent matter if it's +100 or -5 the temp stays at 190, i guess you could say im sold on Modine.....

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

A good stock copper 4 core replacement is more than adequate. http://www.radiator.com has great pricing, got my new 4 core for $162 delivered next day.

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The stock replacements have allways worked well for me, I have allways bought Modine & they allways work great.

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I agree with BlazinOR. I just got my new engine running with a new 4 row from Radiator.com. I am very pleased and the temp stays very consistent. Can't beat their prices either, especially with the CK5 discount.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've got the time, talk to whoever you planned on getting your radiator from, and find out if any of the later trucks used a radiator the same size, but aluminum. (I saw some on thge shelf at the local wrecking yard marked "chev" that were AL and looked similar in dimensions)

It's actually CHEAPER to get stock AL radiators than it is to get replacement copper/brass ones for some GM vehicles.

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The only problem I have with some of the aluminum radiators has to do with the plastic tanks. It seems like they tend to leak at the seam between the tank and the core. I run a Modine 4-core and I'm pleased with the way it fit and the way it cools.

Smitty

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah almost everyone I know (including me) has had problems with the tank gasket on the alu/plastic radiators. seems like they always spring a leak sooner or later. Espically in 4x4s

10. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm running the aluminum radiator from be-cool. The 4-row radiators have 1/2" wide cores. The be-cool raidator runs 2 one inch wide cores=more surface area. It's pricy but I had a problem with my brass radiator not being able to keep it's cool when it got mud into it. Haven't had that problem with the new one. I think it's due to the added compacity and efficiently.

11. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif i think i have to disagree. not trying to start anything, but a larger number of smaller tubes means more water is in contact with the side of the tubing, therefore creating more surface area and quicker heat transfer to the surrounding metal

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If a factory GM piece popped on me, I'd be pissed. So people here are saying is that GM uses AL radiators only in cars?

Not to be a pain in anyones side, but if AL radiators were a problem, GM would stop using them or improve them to prevent warranty returns....if the pieces weren't efficient, they simply could not be used on the currect vehicle designs with less airflow capability through the ever narrowing grilles.

As to concerns about AL vs Copper/brass radiator efficiency, heres what Griffin radiators has to say: "An aluminum radiator built with 1" wide tubes with a .016" tube wall turned out to be approximately 60% lighter than the same copper brass radiator. The 1" tube increased direct tube- to-fin contact and cooling capacity by roughly 25%. Therefore, a 2-row aluminum radiator with 1" tubes is equivalent to a 5-row copper brass radiator with 1/2" tubes. The state of the art engineering advantages of the increased tube-to-fin contact are far superior to the lead joint found on copper brass radiators. The welded aluminum construction also proved to be stronger than the lead-soldered copper brass radiator. Today all vehicle manufacturers incorporate aluminum radiators with wide tubes in their designs. GM, for instance, offers an aluminum radiator with 1-1/4" tubes." As well they mention that the copper brass tubes must be soldered, whereas AL is welded, which also conducts heat better. I understand they are trying to sell something, but they are correct. Apparently there are some copper brazed radiators out there that might give AL a run for its money but they aren't the norm.

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have also heard from a buddy that replacement aluminium ones, good name brand ones, end up leaking. Simply becuase of the stress 4x4 put on them. Flexing and such. In a street car where it doenst flex, nothing can beat a GOOD aluminum one.

Personally a good 4 core replacement.
    Seems unanimalous /forums/images/icons/smile.gif that www.radiator.com is a good deal.

Ken H.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the rad more or less 'floats' in its mouning cradle
    hopefully you arent stressing either type