Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Nov 2, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

My radiator is shot. So should I sitck with the stock radiator when I replace it or should I get a 4 row? Also I have never replaced a radiator in this type of truck before how hard is it to do? will I have to dissconnect the fan? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

you can usually unbolt the radiator top brackets and the shroud, drain the radiator and remove the hoses, move the shroud back far enough to slip the radiator up out of the core support. A good 3 core is plenty for most purposes, I wouldn't think you would need a larger core unless you're planning to go with a larger engine sometime soon.

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I didnt have to on mine. Good idea to get a carboard flat and tape to your fan to prevent any punctures of the new radiator. Basically cut up the box it comes in. I would go four row and be done with it. The only deal is that since the new 4 row is wider you will need a new set of hold downs that mount on the top of the front clip. I just made some from 14 ga. flat. Used some black silcone rtv as shcok absorber. Just lay down some fat beads, kinda like a thick bead of toothpaste. Let it dry and then mount to the front clip in place of the old ones. Radiator.com ( advertized as one of our sponsers) is where I got mine. Just make sure you have the measurement sfor you radiator. They are really quick on handling and shipping.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence you have to replace your radiator, why not upgrade to the 4 row ??? We all want a Dana 60 becouse it's stronger. My thinking is a 4 row will be stronger cooling power. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif