Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RatMan, Jun 13, 2003.

1. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

ok, i got a big leak in my radiator and need to get a new one, but apparently there are two different sizes availible. is there a way to tell which size i need without taking everything apart first? tia /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Stockers came with 3 rows and BBC and diesels have 4 rows, if your overheating at all I would swap in the 4 row...

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good call, assuming the thing will fit, go for the big'n. when i had my engine swapped, the gm mechs discovered that a shady radiator repair guy had cut a loop or 2 out of my rad instead of brazing it or suggesting that i get a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif at any rate, they installed a big ass radiator (no doubt the biggest most spendy one they had on hand) and boy does that bad boy keep things cool! I used to over heat all the time on long hills and stuff, and now the temp gauge is steady as can be, nice and cool. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

the problem i am having is that there's a 19 inch radiator and a 17 inch radiator availible. i just dont know which one will fit my truck.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so measure from the bottom of your radiator to the top, see if its 19 or 17", i believe thats what they are referring to

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If I remeber right the 19 inch one is flush with the top of the core support, so the brackets basically go straight out. The 17 inch one is 2 inches shorter than the core support, so the brackets dip down.