Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiators

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 7, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What size radiators is everyone running, also what size comes stock.

I am talking measurements in inches.

I am running a stock 1990 350 with a carb, would a 28x19(or 18) four core copper radiator be sufficent?

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

I have a 90 with a 350 and have a 3 core..it runs about 200 degrees. I also have factory A/C. It measures about 28 3/4 X 20 1/4. It is getting a little cheesy on the inside but waiting until next spring to replace it. Just changed the heater hoses today and measured. I have a 2 core that would work but worried about keeping it cool.

3. Emmettology 101

I have a 2 core in my Jimmy right now and I usually run about 200-210, but it can get hot at time(230).. I bought this copper 4core at Summit Friday that is 28x18 or 19 and I never measured my stock one.

The reason I bought the Summit one is because it was on Clearence and was only $50 brand new with only one dent in the upper bracket and no core damage.

I figured that the 4 core unit will probably be a lot better than my 2 core.
    The only thing I need now is to get a tranny cooler, because this one doesn't have the cooler provision.

Mike [​IMG]

4. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

Which Summit..in Ohio?? I live in Pa. and would drive to come get it if you don't want it lol....Later

5. Emmettology 101

Yep, Summit Racing in Tallmadge.

I am not sure if I am going to keep it or not. I am going to measure mine tonight and go from there. I will let you know.

Mike [​IMG]

6. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I installed a basic 2 core in my 89 350 this spring. It runs at 180 degrees. I had one day to replace it when it went and the 2 core was all I could find in a hurry. I was worried it might run hot, but the outside temp has been hanging in the mid to high 80s and the radiator hasn't been above 180. The right thermostat helps too.

7. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

4 core about $160.00 with warranty. Got it thru a buddy of mine and his connections. Does not even get above 200 in summer in AZ

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I run a 4 core out of a 454 tow truck. It has been about 105 every day around here and my motor, when stuck in traffic, stop and go, heat of the day, gets runs at about 190. I also have added a high flow thermastat, a 160 from i believe. I am very annel about my temp, and keep an eye on it whenever i drive

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

9. Emmettology 101

What size is yours?(outsie dimensions)

This one is a 28x18 from outside end of tank to outside end of tank.

Mike [​IMG]

10. Emmettology 101

I have a 2 core now and I think it is getting plugged and needs cleaned.

I was thinking of swapping it out for this 4 core, but I am not sure since the overall size of the 4 core is smaller.

BTW, I run a 180 degree thermostat. It works fine for a while and I can see on my gauge when it opens and closes, then after a little while it looks like it either just stays open or it satys closed. The reason I say this is, I can watch the temp rise when i first start out and I can see the temp go up and down when the thermo. opens(the temp when thermo is opened is 180, right before the temp starts going down when the thermo opens is 200), then after a while it just stays at 200 and then raises little by olittle to 220 - 230..

I must have blockage or something somewhere.

Mike [​IMG]