Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiators???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k20, Mar 8, 2004.

1. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

What is the best route as far as radiators go-rebuild/recore, parts store or aftermarket??? I can't quite locate the leak, but I've got antifreeze dripping from places that there shouldn't be-down cross member, and over on frame/steering box area, as well as down on the oil pan. I put a new water pump on right after I got the truck a few months ago, and replaced both hoses at that time, along with new clamps. All of those locations are dry-looks kind of like blow through-if that makes any sense? It's on a '78 3/4ton with a 350. Also, is it best to stick with the stock fan setup, or go electric? I'm running 35's and pull trailers frequently-summer months here are around 100+, so I was affraid the electric may not cool enough-any thoughts???

Sorry for the ignorance, I've run many Chev trucks, Blazers and Subs over the years, but this is my first "project" in which I'm trying to do everything myself, rather than pay someone else to do it.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Mike

2. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They make electric fans that would work but can be expensive. If I was you I would just keep the stock fan and maybe put a larger 4 row radiator in. Plus that might fix your leak...

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

depending on your budget.. check out
    becool radiators or
    radiators.com

also.. stock fans are fine, but it wont hurt to add a small pusher fan in front of the radiator, for just in case, and wired to a toggle switch or thermometric switch..

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Summit makes an all-aluminum rad with 1" pipes that is relatively inexpensive... might try that?

j

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I got a HOWE radiator for my Buggy, was the sameprice as a new 4 row brass/copper. Its 2 row, was just over $200 shipped. Got it from summit.

6. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice thus far, greatly appreciate it!

As for the BeCool-, yeah, I was wondering about those... How do they rate compared to Fluidyne??? I'm not too concerned about the cost-yeah, I'd like to keep it down, but still, I don't mind paying for quality parts that will last. If a BeCool or a Fluidyne is the way to go, then I wouldn't mind paying the extra-provided it will hold up, and work as well or better than the standard, or 4 core, etc.

After looking this evening, I did find a small hole in the main core support on the driver side-blowing air bubbles after shutting the engine off at the seam where the solid sheet meets the mesh. Is this enough to spray fluid all over the engine compartment-it was very small, like pinhole size? I couldn't find any fluid in the shroud assembly, which is where I would assume it would accumulate if it was the "blow through" problem mentioned earlier??? Just don't know.

Anyhow, Thanks Again, I'll look into BeCool a little closer, as well as those in Summit-just got a new catalog the other day.

Mike

7. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Problem with Fluidyne is that they don't make one for a 3/4 ton in that year. I picked up a Be-Cool in really good shape on ebay for only $295 (with Shipping). The thing looked barely used. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif They are supposed to be good to 1000 hp.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

find a four core and put it in, i never have had a truck overheat with a four core, with or without fan shroud, and always with stock original solid or temp clutch fan, you can buy a new four core for 120 or less nowadays, and a good used one can find in a parts truck or from someone

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I had an electric fan on my '84 K5 with a 3 core in it. This summer it got pretty hot out especially creeping around backroads. The fan cooled it great until it gave out (bearings). I ended up just sticking a regular fan back on it.

I'd say go with a 4-core. Wish I had more helpful advice and all, being's that I work part-time at a radiator shop, but I havent been there all too long.

Where in Eastern Wa. are you?

10. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

I would definantly go with the aluminum if your going to replace your existing radiator. I purchased a direct replacement from Howe and it works awsome. I live in Texas and have an electric fan and I have never overheated even creeping through the trails. Its a little more money but I think it is well worth it. Plus they look cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Check out this web site. http://www.alumrad.com/chevy.html It is were I bought mine from. They are real helpfull on the phone. They also have nice electric fan kits if you need as well as cool brackets to mount them with.

Hope this helps some.