Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radio antenna

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.C.Staley, Feb 24, 2002.

1. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

I've not seen this silly question before so I'll ask. My 84 K5 has the ever popular radio antenna in the windshield. The AM part of the radio has never had great reception but that has dropped even more since a crack went from edge to edge of the windshield and appears to split the antenna. The radio is a upper quality Kenwood so that shouldn't be the problem. My question is, has anyone replaced the windsheild antenna with a "real" one? How much hassel was it?

2. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

its not much of a hassel at all. ive done antennee(plural?) in other cars and its just basically drill holes and plug into your radio.
    oh, the antennae hook up in your blazer whould be right about the area in back of you ashtray.. its just a short antennae lead
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by angelglo on 02/24/02 11:49 AM.</FONT></P>

3. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I agree, real easy. Just drill for you new antenna and plug the wire into the back of you radio.

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Like stated previously, just drill and go...

The pigtail for the antenna on the windshield should be long enough to reach the fenderwell area.

I replaced the short, 80's "rubber duck" antenna that the previous owner had on mine with parts from LMC recently (mount, gasket, whip and bezel) for less than $25 and the parts are all GM.

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/abshort>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>