Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radio in Console, CB in Dash

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hardcore, May 9, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

The placement of the stereo in my truck is agrivating. I'm planning on getting a cheapo CD player and some replacement speakers to get a little bit better sound in my truck. I'm thinking about getting a Tuffy console and mounting the radio in it and then getting a small CB and putting it in the dash where the radio was. Anyone have any expereince with this or have pictures?

Thanks,

Corey /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

It has been a while since I've put a cb in the dash where the radio goes but it isn't that hard to do.

The biggest thing to worry about is finding one that will fit the way you want it to and how to make it stay. If the dash has already been chopped for a DIN sized radio it can be kind of difficult to make it work.

It also makes things much easier to deal with if you have a radio with the microphone connector on the front instead of the side. The last one I installed in the dash was a pretty small cb and we just used a spare sleave from a stereo and added a few shims to position the cb and hold it in tight. Then added a tinted plexiglass faceplate with a cut out big enough for the radio to cover the extra space.

We also used an old 2x10 speaker mounted in the center dash location for the cb's external speaker since you can't really hear from the internal one when it's installed in a dash.

Or.... If you don't want to put anything back in the dash where the radio was I have a blank plate to cover the hole from an old blazer I had that didn't come with a radio. Cover the ride and it's yours.

3. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

The CB I have is old and its huge so I'm looking for a new one anyway. I've seen a couple that are small enough. Thanks for the tip on the external speaker, I hadn't thought of that. I still have the stock radio in so I'll look into ways of taking up the space.

Corey /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif