Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radio just goes away

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Stomper, May 3, 2004.

1. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

This may be an ez one, but on one of our tractors, when you turn the radio on it works for a few minutes. Then after a while the volume goes down slowly until it is gone. It only works once a day, after it goes dead it won't come back on. Any idears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

How old is the unit? Sounds like something inside of it is overheating, probably one of the semiconductors for the power amp. When it heats up there is greater resistance in the semiconductor so the speaker is getting less power. Just a guess. Try taking the cover off of it and have a 12V computer cooling fan mounted above it and see if that helps.

3. Stomper

It's only 28 years old /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I really hate to get a new one...you know they don't make 8-tracks anymore /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif Thanks for the idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I may try the fan or just break down and get a new radio /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you know they don't make 8-tracks anymore

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Scratch my last idea, it probably has vacuum tubes instead of semiconductors. New idea - get a newer stereo, something with at least a cassette player. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It's only 28 years old /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I really hate to get a new one...you know they don't make 8-tracks anymore /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif Thanks for the idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I may try the fan or just break down and get a new radio /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Take it to a local radio/tv repair shop. You gotta have some old guy close to retirerment that'll remember how those thangs worked.

6. Stomper

They're all dead /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.....seriously /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, if ya really want to stay with the 8-tracks, I have one of the original Pioneer SuperTuner under-dash stereos with 8-track. It still rocks and has the best tuner reception of any radio that I've ever owned! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

GEEZ, ya know, you CAN replace the thing with a half ass decent head unit for about $99, maybe less, since it's going in a tractor or semi or whatever you have it in, don't need anything real expensive. Just replace it bub, quit being cheap /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hell when i was an OTR driver, i always took out their factory $99 units and installed my $400 head unit and new speakers. Always kept the olds ones so as to replace them when i turned in the truck of course. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif