Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radio noise especially when cold outside

Discussion in 'Audio' started by backlash, Nov 24, 2000.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Did a search and couldn't find anything that addressed whine when cold (not engine, but outsaide). The colder the louder. When it's warm nearly no whine, therefore I don't think it's a ground. Could be wrong! Also read that an amp can make a whine worse, does that pertain to cold outside. Doubt that too amps inside.

Really thinking alternator, but don't know how these filters are intalled. Will they do anything to the reception?

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thought I'd bring this to the top again. Can anyone help?

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welp, her goes: the whine is called alternator whine. It is usually caused by your line level signal cables (RCA's) running parallel within 18" of a power cable. If your not alread, run your signal cables down one side of the truck then your power cables down the other side. Running perpandicular to a power cable usually has very little induced noise. When the air temp. is cold for some reason alternators built in regulators run at a higher rate which makes a higher level of whine. During the summer there probably is a slight whine that you don't noticed but as it gets louder in the winter months you start hearing it. Also, this could be the sign that the regulator is going out and you will need a new alt soon. Usually they will go out around 1 month after you start hearing the noise and it could be just a coincidence that you hear it in the colder months.

Jason

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply Jason,

Will have to investigate how these wires are run when I redo my carpets.

Been like this since I had the stereo put in 13 years ago. At 180,000 miles I expect the alternator to die any day. However, has really gotten no worse as it has aged.

Could have sworn that some where I heard there was a filter available that could be put inline to reduce alternator noise.

Do you think that's a viable fix?

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

They do make noise filters , but they only work about 60% of the time. You could very well have a number of different problems. Yes, running the power wire next to the RCA's can cause there to be noise, sometimes. Noise usually come from a grond loop. Meaning that something in the system is pulling ground from something else. You could have bad solder joints in the amp that are causing it not to have an adiquit ground so it oulls ground from the radio through the RCA's or vice versa, the radio from the amp. Whenver people come in to my shop and ask me why they have noise I always tell them that it could be a number of things, or even a combination of things working together. So try the easy things first. Get a hand held Bat/Alt tester and check the output of the alternator. Then get a set of rcas and just run them up and over trhe seats from the radio to the amp, could be ypur rca's just went bad, it happens. Then check all the grounds and make sure they are good. then try just swapping amps, stick a good one in there to see if the noise goes away.Who knows, but like I said try the easiest first, check the alt. Good luck and HAVE A NICE DAY!!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey DBlazer,

Welcome back ... wondered where you went? Thanks for the tips ... sounds a bit complicated, but will check it out. Guess that's why you guys are in business.

May be asking follow-ups as I get into this.

Thanks again.