Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 22, 2000.

Probably like most of you I cut out the the factory radio slot to fit my new radio, DIN. The problem is that there is a gap that I can see on the top of the radio. It's not bad but you know us K5 runners, were kind of picky about our stuff. So I looked around but couldn't really find any brackets or trim to hide this and I was hoping that someone might let me know what they did or where they got some type of trim.
    thanks.
    <font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

1. chad

chad Registered Member

Some after market radio mounting kits have trim that go around the radios, if you could just find a cheap one at like Wal-Mart of something you could just pick out the pieces you want, they aren't more than 15 bucks for a whole kit.

Chad

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hit a local stereo shop and get them to give you a chunk of Thin (about 3/32) trim plastic. They will have some textured ABS sheet. You can trim it down to fit aound the radio. If your real paitent you can cut a bevel in it and it will look great. Shop I use to deal with used a belt sander in a bench vice as a shaper. I manaaged to cram a din and a half in my dash [​IMG] Alpine CD with a half din 3311 EQ right below it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Best Buy has pre-cut ABS trimrings. We always use them when we do an install on a Chevy truck like that. The quarter inch one usually fills up the gap.

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

I bought a metal trim plate (that's right no plastic) with the correct black color and texture to match the dash for $6. It fits perfect and now my stereo looks factory, better actually. Can't remember the brand but I bought it from a stereo shop. $.02

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One other option - Cheyenne PU Parts 405-872-3399 sells the replacement bezel fix kit for $58.95 that matches the original and can be used to renew / improve your bezel at the same time......very nice brushed aluminum. This also includes the bezel cover for the radio section that will fix your problem.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Go to any quality stereo shop and buy a Metra dash kit for your vehicle. It has a metal inner peice, and a nice trim ring that looks very good. I use them all the time at work.they retail for about 15 bucks. If you cant find one give me an email and i can send you one.
    NASHU

89K5 payed 3k for the rig, spent almost 7k in the last 6 months on upgrades!!!!

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Got to thank you Grim....
    I did cut my dash for the cd player and mounted the eq under the steering column, after reading what you said I went out and measured and am now going to cut it more and put in the eq as well. Makes it all easier to see...Thanks again!

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]