Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rag joint. For those that used the "help" section part

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Aug 13, 2005.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Did you find it to be kinda cheesy? I wasn't all that impressed. Cloth reinforcement, instead of steel, bolts and studs don't look the same, etc etc.. What did you guys think?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

are you talking about the help section at the auto parts store? if so that crap wouldnt make it on my truck unless it was last resort. if ya need one let me know . i have a few gm units.:D

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought one of the "Help" GM windshield washer pump repair kits MANY years ago, for the older setups where the pump was driven off a cam on the wiper motor. The plastic it was made of was too soft and deformed in about a month. A new kit, sold by Anco, worked great.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Yes, them's the ones. You have a NEW GM rag joint?

This from a good friend of mine, who is very knowledgable when it comes to OEM parts...

"Well, as far as an oe number goes, I can't be of any assistance. I usually use either a good salvage unit (I NEVER pass up a steering shaft that is being disposed of), or I use the Motormite (Help--red packages)--the number 31050 comes to mind, but it may have no relevance. It is possible that you may have to purchase complete shafts for these applications (IF they are still available) as I know all of the later model stuff is only available as an asm (and VERY high dollar)."

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The one I bought was too small and the bolt pattern didn't line up , probably A-zone kids fault .

I bought the one going on the trail truck here http://www.larescorp.com/

Looks purty , steel belted , cad plated LOCKING nuts . When I can afford it I am getting some for the DD and the Chevelle .

I still have stock ones for spares , need to put it in the truck though ( oooops ) :D

[​IMG]

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Paul! Part # and price please? I'll call them on Monday. BTW, I need the small input shaft version, not sure if you used the bigger shaft.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I used the one for 70's truck for the trail rig , I am using the box from the pickup that used to adorn Marvs backyard :D

I'll dig up my receipt for a part number ..... EDIT , can't find it .

Heres there store link http://stores.ebay.com/Lares-Manufacturing

Call and talk to Doug , hes the guy who sent mine , he kept in touch email the whole time . Tell him you want the 1959-1976 Chevy power steering coupler :D

BTW Lifetime warranty if non-commercial use

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

U-joint it!

I'd only use the "HELP" brand "hunk of used tire" coupler in an emergency!--its quite a hassle to install the rubber disc alone--GM made it a one peice unit OEM,and its NO fun taking one apart to put a new "rubber" in one..

I've seen new couplers listed in my friends chevy Nova parts catolog--not cheap at 70 bucks,but its OEM quality..I use good used junkyard ones--many other GM trucks and cars use the same "rag joint"--some ford and dodge ones fit too!..

I think the best solution is to use a shaft with "U" joints rather than a "rag joint",especially if you go off road or use the truck for heavy towing or plowing,where the steering gets a real workout!...I've read here that later jeep cherokee steering shafts are a bolt in swap,that have 2 "u" joints..or you can custom make one...much safer than that "hunk of tire" your life is riding on!...I had one break on my truck while making a U-turn--nothing worse than your steering wheel spinning 100 times with NO resistance,OR response from the front wheels! :eek1: :doah: :crazy:

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

K10ANDYKHAMANIC used PTO u-joints for his. ax him about it.

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Got mine today from Lares in Minnesota. The part I needed was Part #200, fits the '77 up steering boxes with the smaller spline input. OEM quality, 35 bucks plus 9 bucks shipping. Good call Paul :waytogo: :waytogo:

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Oh and also, I'm doing some research on the Cherokee (XJ) shafts. I have 2 in my shop :D . I'll post up what I find out in a different post.

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Eh, for $35 might as well pony up for a universal joint shaft if you don't mind the vibrations.

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The Lares #200 is also avail from advance auto though it has to be ordered and is in the $30-$40 range IIRC.

14. FWP

FWP CRS

What do you mean? Explain please.

15. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get rid of the rag joint for a universal joint. The easiest place to spot them is on full size vans. The rubber rag joint makes a mighty fine vibration isolator. I, personally, like them. If I wanted to listen to the road like I was driving a unibody I'd have me a Cherokee.

16. FWP

FWP CRS

Gotcha, thanks. I don't know what a u-joint shaft feels like on our early chevy trucks. I'm going to find out though, since I have 4, ones gonna be a guinea pig :D

17. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just wanted to bump this as I found this thread through a search. Bought the piece below and installed it as I replaced the power steering pump, draglink, and gearbox on my 72. I think its a good buy if you don't want to go the xj shaft route.