Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rag Joint removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Chevy, Jul 21, 2005.

1. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

I was trying to replace my rag joint and It seems as though there are 2 bolts and then two things that look like pins holding it in. I got the bolts out fine but have no clue how to remove the pin things.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

does not come apart...

To take off the rag joint,you need to remove the special 12 point bolt that holds it to the steering box,then pry it towards the cab until it comes free from the steering box,then the 2 bolts that hold it to the steering shaft come off to release it from the shaft--those "pins" are swedged in the rubber/steel rag joint like rivets,they cant come out..the rag joint is replaced as an assembly,unless you bought just the rubber disc separately..if you did,I'd trade it in at a parts store for the "Complete"rag joint--"HELP" brand sells them now,as well as GM dealers and other brands--better bring the old one with you-some had different size splines on them... :crazy:

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the pinch bolt is i think 12mm and is the 12 point headed bolt

the pins you dont worry about, its part of shaft

take bolts and pinch bolt out and thats it

intermediate shaft will move up twards column a little so you can get rag off

youll see..

once youve done it youll always know

good luck

4. 1987Chevy

thanks for the help

all I bought was the rubber disc that kinda sucks thanks for the help

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i just did this repair on my truck, i bought just the rubber disk. Once i removed the join i grinded the studs that are there flush with the metal peice and then drove them out. i first removed the rubber disc entirely though(cut it off) now i got 2-5/16" bolts 1 1/2+" long (dont remeber exactly) 2-5/16" fender washers, 2-5/16" lock washers and 2 5/16" nuts (all grade 5) I then put the bolts up through the bottom of the metal piece, then place the rubber disc on top of that, then fender washer, flatwasher, nut. I used fender washers to spread the load out over the rubber. You have to make sure the bolts ar long enough to grab the steering arm like the old studs did. i havent had any problems yet and have used it for over a month, everything is real tight. ill snap some pics later and post 'em up if i can.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

P.S where in ct are you?

7. 1987Chevy

thaks

thanks for the advice i'm in the new britian area right in the center