Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raggedy, squeaking, worn out hardtop questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Michael, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I know we've gone over this in the past, but.....my top is really starting to get loose at the factory seams. Anybody ever had any luck fixing these? I don't want a softtop, I want my hardtop fixed, so I don't need that suggestion. Surely some type of automotive epoxy or somthing exsits to do this......I have pretty much eliminated most of my body flex, but the damage is already done.....anyone? Mine has seams that overlap... I have seen some tops, maybe a '75, that have flush seams that look a little nicer...Short of a fix...anybody close gotta a GOOD '74-75 top for sale ....cheap!

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Why don't you just get a softtop? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I've seen one repaired from a colision once. It was broken at the rear seam between the left side glass window and the tailgate window, and also broken between the left window at the bottom and the quarter panel. This repair first reqiured the steel frame inside the roof to be fixed then welded back together. Then the fiberglass pieces were put in position and held in place with regular fiberglass body filler. Sanded down and painted it looked factory. This was 7 years ago, and as far as I know it's held together.

If your roof is really bad the steel inside could have broken. If so it may just be simpler to pick up a used roof from wrecking yard/wherever you can find one.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I would personally recommend he just busts it off on a tree or something the next time he takes it thru a tight trail! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well you actually have the better of the two tops. The 73 tops had butted seams and they were very prone to poping apart at the seams. Then they went to the over lap seams. At some point a metal channel was added accross the bed rails. and I am not sure our years even had this and not run accros sanybody that has cut one appart. If the seam is fully sepperated then prop it to get a gap at the seam. sand it and hit a boat shop and pick up some fiberglass resin and you should be able to glue it back together and get another 25 years out of it.
    To be quite honest I love the soft top on my 75. My seals are shot around the windows and the STC top seals better. The fabric on the inside also absorbs a lot of the sound that the hard top bounced around. With the windows up it's quiter with the soft top. None of the squeeks where the top joins the windsheild,. Only down side is driving with the windows down the top sucks in and will pop against the roll bar. Durring the summer I run it Safari style most of the time since my A/C is non functional (yet). Nice to have the air flow and still have the shade.