Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

raid setup HEADACHE!!!!!! help me please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Dec 10, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i've been trying to set up this damn RAID 0 array for 6 1/2 hours now!!! i need help. I got the gateway 700XL that comes with 2 of the 200 GB 8/mb Catche and i got the promise Tx2 Ultra 133 Controller.. i've tried every setup possible with the jumpers, fdisk (from win me boot disk). ect... i can't get the computer to see them as one drive! and now to top it off... the best i can seem to do is to get drive 2 (D:) to be recognized as 189 GB (which is correct) but drive 1 (C:) only see's 127 GB not the 200!!! please help me.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

I have always set then up using software like smart start for Compaq. Can’t remember what it called on a gateway. Could be a utility when the system boots, like setup. Is the card recognized when you boot? Have not done much with the gateway but some manufacturers have utilities loaded on a partition of the drive that many times gets blown away. Is it a gateway card? Are you looking for capacity or redundancy?

3. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

belive it or not that thing may be to big. you may have to break it down in to seperatefiles. not sure though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't think the tx2 is a raid card, just a high speed card.

You have to set the up as a volume set in your operating system, winxp I'm assuming. Right click my computer, go to manage, then go to disk administrator. You may hav to prepartition one drive to host the OS (I don't think you can set up raid on the system drive after the system is running on it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif), and the rest of the space can be your volume set.

5. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I don't understand the words that are coming out of your mouth. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Did you fix the problemo? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I looked that card up and it does not support Raid. So your screwed. I saw it for $38 bucks which means no way is it a raid. The cheapest IDE raid card I've seen is around $80 which is the Hi-point IDE 2 channel raid card. This is the one I've been thinking about for my home system to replace my aging scsi drive array. Sorry.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is correct.

See web specs:
    http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productId=87&familyId=3

I knew that card sounded familiar. We bought some shortly after 9/11/01 to host a bunch of large IDE drives in an off-site backup machine. I don't remember why we went with the speed card over raid card, but we set up a software raid 5 volume set in win2k server.

It sounds like you want to set up the two drives as one large one, but I don't see a way you can do that with WinXP. You'll have to partition out a couple Gb to start the operating system, then once that's up, set the remaining drivesapce up as a raid 0 volume set. I don't even know if you can do volume sets in XP home, but I know the only raid available in xp pro is raid 0.

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Like others have pointed out, you have a standard controller.... but it's a pretty good one!

RAID is very cool but do you really need it? If you do then you will have to look at RAID capable cards or find a way to make one.

I have two Home-made RAID cards in one of my machines that cost me a total of less than $25. for both. This is an old hack that was really popular for awhile.

I got the last 2 Promise U66 on the shelf at a local computer store for $9.99/ea. Since the BIOS chip is the same in this controller and the Fasttrack RAID controller, I just flashed the Fasttrack image onto the BIOS and soldered a ground loop and, viola ... instant RAID controller.

They have both been running flawlessly for over two years. I have one setup with 4x80Gb drives setup as a striped volume that I use for video and graphics stuff and the other has 2 sets of 2x60 Gb drives that I use for archives and backups. That is in addition to the 80Gb boot drive. The only thing that really sucks is the fact that I only have a 600Mhz processor in that box.

If you are curious, here are some articles on this hack. You could probably still buy the U66 cards on ebay or at some stores but they are not made any more.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20000329/fastrak66-04.html
    http://www.geocities.com/promise_raid/ctrl.htm
    http://www.overclockin.com/reviews/PromiseUltra66/

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all the help everyone.... it was just a controller card and not raid... my bay.. BUT i did buy the correct raid card today and it is the Promise tx2000, but can't get this to work either. Promise says it's cause my radion 9700 video card is using up all my bios and the raid card has no room left to load, so i went out and bought a gforce2 mx400 thinking that would work... it dosen't /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so any suggestions now?

10. Sandman

A raid card interfering with a video card? Thats new to me but I guess not impossible. Are you disabling the onboard IDE controller in the Bios?

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yeah i did, but the card is supposedly tested to work with it

12. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

You are most likely out of resources, Irq’s. If you are not using your printer port disable it in set up and free up irq 7. Try setting the new card to this. You can change resources by clicking on the device in device mangler and going to the resources tab. Click on computer in device manager and look at your irq’s Try to find out what device you are not using and disable it. Extra COM ports eat up irq’s infer red, multiple modems. Sometimes you really have to juggle irq’s around. Plug and pray.

Also again what are you trying to get out of this little project redundancy or capacity? Do you really need it?

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i wanted the speed, but i don't think i need it that much, i'd love it though

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is a mistake, I got the same runaround when we had problems installing the non-raid cards and I used tech support. They told me something like that, that something from left field was interfering, but it turned out to be a bios problem with the motherboard I was using.

Besides, wasn't that video card a big part of your computer's expense??

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yeah, it retails for $400, but was part of the package.... i think i can live with out raid.. but i really wanted the added performance /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. Sandman

The raid is the only way to go....

17. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

could be wrong but if your data is spreed out on multiple drives in an array wouldent that slow down acsess time when the data is needed. Also you are limited on raid leval choices with two drives.

18. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

it sees both drives as one and writes 1/2 the info on each one. so imagine two blank papers and two pens... now fill up one page with words, now if you had two pens in your hand and write on the same paper, it fills up twice as quick..... that's the best i can think of now.... not good i'm afraid