Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raidiator In Th Rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willymonster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

i need to put the radiator in the rear of the latest truggy . what do i need ? how is it done ? ive got some ideas but never done one :confused: wana make sure its all right runnig a 454 so i think i need a good cooling system

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

one option i have seen is copper tubing. find some existing radiator hose that is the right size, find some copper tube that is going to fit SNUG inside the radiator hose and some C clamps. for bends you can use fittings and sweat the tubes together, or you can use more flexible radiator hose and cut it up.clamp it as needed.

another way i have seen is to find some large diameter hydraulic hose and use it. more flexible, but less flexible than you think. thick walled rubber hose doesnt like to bend to well and may even need some copper tube fittings to make the bends you may need.

Beck at ORD used this method if i remember right.
    Grant

3. willymonster

radiator in the rear

thanks for the reply i like the idea of the copper tubing with flex hose joints. what about the pump ? will i need an extra capacity pump ? does the radiator have to be higher or lower than the highest point of flow in the motor ? thought i heard that before somewhere , apperently it discoureges air pockets when filling or somthing . anyway if anybody has more info for me i would really appreciate it thanks !!!! ;)

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i used copper tubing for reducers, short sections 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". use 1 1/2" for 1 1/2" hose. for the 454 im pretty sure its 1 1/2". also the copper will disapate heat when run to the radiator (especially long sections of it so that should help with cooling. id only run a few flex joints. the less joints/ clamps the better

5. willymonster

radiator in the rear

thanks for the info. did you keep your stock water pump ? what about the height thing ? probably higher the better im thinkin . anybody else got more for me ? :rolleyes:

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

id run the lines on the frame and keep the top of the radiaitor above the water pump. i just used aboot 2 -8" sections of copper. short section of 1 1/" then 1 1/4"-1 1/2" reducer than 1 1/2" section sautered together.

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how they ran the coolant from the engine to the radiator on the DeTomaso Panteras, but stainless steel pipe could be a good (but not too cheap) way to span most of your front-to-rear distance with a pretty tough and corrosion resistant conduit. The installation would determine where to put "S" hoses as strain and heat expansion/contraction relievers and other short hose sections to point the coolant where it had to go. If 304 stainless exhaust tubing would work, it's less than 10 bucks a foot for 2-inch 16 ga (0.065 wall) tube, and I'd like 304 a lot better than copper. Galvanic potential issues might make something like a few Caddy Northstar "pills" a decent idea, but this is all back of the napkin rambling on my part.

Are you going to try getting direct airflow when the vehicle is moving, or do you want to do all of that with electric fans?

8. willymonster

northstar pills ?

i assume the galvonic potential you are speaking of is because of the water being exsposed to the pipe then running thru the motor which is a completely different metal ? also what are northstar pills ? something that neutralizes this effect ? for the cooling i am going to rely on electric fans and have a seperate cooler for the tranny also with fans. :o

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I used copper tubing for transfer tubes.... Using the stock water pump...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... also, radiator cap should be the highest point in the cooling system or you'll have trouble getting it completely filled up!
    Marv

10. willymonster

radiator in the rear

right on man that is a cool rig ya got there !! bet the motor in the middle works out well for the weight distrabution . ive wanted to see one like that for a while now :laugh:

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Thanks..... It does work well... Here's some more photos if you like....

Down here in Az, it's known as the "Treasure Beetle" or the "Marvzda" - depending on who you ask...

Marv

12. willymonster

pics

thanks for the pics marv that thing is cool definetly no problem with seeing where the front tires are !! anway anybody have anymore pics of radiators in the rear ? i would really appreciate it ? im pretty sure im gonna go copper with flex hoses . i think it will work well and be very cost effective but i sure would like to see some more setups :eek1: