Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rain leaking into cab

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It drips down from above the parking brake pedal onto the drivers floor. Any idea where it's coming in? It has persisted through a windshield replacement, so I doubt it's that seal. I'm not sure where else to look.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

metal where the firewall meets? Maybe the seal there isn't so good for some reason. I hate finding mystery leaks. My K5 always had one where the carpet right behind the driver seat got wet but nothing in the truck got wet except that!

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine was leaking in the exact same spot. I just ran a bead of clear RTV around the windshield and it stopped...

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

try looking at the firewall and also pull the fender off and look there

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The windshield is the most likely culprit, but there are a couple of other things to check.

Kind of a PITA, but pulling off the cowl piece, and checking the drains in the corners for junk, is always a good idea. It may plug up and then water backs up into all sorts of places.

Along those lines, if the windshield is leaking more likely than not you've got rust started. If you catch it early you can prevent a lot of damage, if not, you'll have real problems as that is where two panels of sheet metal run together, and water will get in between them. Gotta pull the windshield to check, but if you care about rust, thats a definite must.

6. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    The windshield is the most likely culprit, but there are a couple of other things to check.

Kind of a PITA, but pulling off the cowl piece, and checking the drains in the corners for junk, is always a good idea. It may plug up and then water backs up into all sorts of places.

Along those lines, if the windshield is leaking more likely than not you've got rust started. If you catch it early you can prevent a lot of damage, if not, you'll have real problems as that is where two panels of sheet metal run together, and water will get in between them. Gotta pull the windshield to check, but if you care about rust, thats a definite must.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is the cowl piece? Is that the one right in front of the windshield?

I doubt it's rust related, since it's been going for quite a while, including when it was in mint condition in the dry desert out west.

Thanks.

7. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that the one right in front of the windshield?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. One right behind the hood.

[ QUOTE ]
    I doubt it's rust related

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope not! It may very well be that the seal is a bit weak from the desert heat.

8. Mastiff

I have some of that thin silicone for going after leaks, would I put it between the glass and the rubber seal? Or between the metal and the seal? Any particular spot, like the bottom driver's side corner?

Thanks.

9. dyeager535

Yep, both corners between the seal and glass. For a short term fix o mine, I used vaseline on he glass right at the corner.

Spray water on your windshield and look at how the water runs to the corners of the seal, and sits there.