Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rain leaking into foot well

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K30Blazer, Mar 26, 2003.

1. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 87 GMC Jimmy fullsize that I love. In great condition. Only problem I have is it leaks like crazy when it rains. Only gets really bad when I am driving. Rain runs down kickpanel on driver side near hood release latch. Will even drip of dash panel below steering wheel onto floormat near brake pedal. Can get really bad, like someone has turned on a hose! I can't figure it out. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Check your windshield gasket. I had leaks in that area on mine too and I traced it up to the windshield gasket under the dash. If the gasket is in good shape, you can just have it resealed. That's what I did and it fixed my leaks.
    -Steve

3. K30Blazer

I had that checked a while ago but it would be worth to do it again. It seems to get really bad when I am driving (freeway especially) which is what confuses me.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

happened to mine too...windshield gasket

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah me too, I just ran a bead of clear RTV around the glass and it cured the problem...

6. K30Blazer

anyone know the cost of a new gasket?

7. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

lmc got em for 40 bucks. I'm sure you can find em cheaper.

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

A new gasket would be a good place to start. But, may not gaurantee a fix. Check for rust around the pinchweld when you remove the windshield and gasket. Now would be the time to fix it. Hint, have a glass shop replace your winshield and gasket. If it leaks afterwards, it's their problem. Might save you a lot of time and frustration. Good luck.

9. K30Blazer

I have a feeling it must be something with the windshield as I have removed all the cowling around the wipers and run the garden hose into there with no leaking at all. Seems like I get a ton of leaking when I am driving. Like real bad. How will I know if the gasket is bad without removing the whole thing? Also, what is the pinch seam?

10. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

The problem is there is no easy way to know exactly where the water is coming in at. In your case, it's most likely the top of the window. Then the water is running under the gasket around to the bottom then leaking onto your floor. When you are driving, it's the wind that forces the water into the gasket causing the leaks. You won't be able to duplicate that with a hose. To repair it without removing the windshield and gasket, do the following.

1. Pull out the interlock. That's the 1/2" wide strip in the middle of the gasket. This may need to be replaced depending how brittle it's become. Replace it with black rubber, not the fake chrome. It looks good and stays pliable forever. Cost around $15 either way.
    2. Buy some windshield urethane from a glass shop. NOT silicone or anything else. Probably will use 2 tubes. It's expensive...
    3. Mask off the body around the gasket with good tape.
    4. Lift up the gasket as you go & run urethane between the gasket and body all the way around. Enough that it mooshes out onto the tape.
    5. When completed, wet your finger constantly with glass cleaner (works best) and remove the excess urethane from off the tape & gasket. Smooth the bead out pretty as you go. Do not remove the tape yet.
    6. Tape off the windshield inside the gasket and do the same thing between the gasket and the glass. Water leaks there just as common. (Be careful, the edge of the glass is the weakest part and too much pressure on the edge will send a crack flyin) Do not remove the tape yet.
    7. Next, re-install the interlock rubber piece. This is done with a special tool. It's a pain without. Trick is to keep the gasket interlock channel wet. Spray glass cleaner works best! As you do this more urethane will probably be squeezed out from the pressure.
    8. Clean up any excess urethane with above method.
    9. Gently remove all the tape.
    10. Any mistakes with the urethane will need cleaned up now with a special solvent. Nothing around the house will remove it. Only smear it.
    11. Let the urethane dry for several days. No car washes or rain storms. You must keep a window down at least a couple inches and don't slam your doors. The air pressure will blow your leaky hole (heehee) open again.

This is what a glass shop would do. There are no gaurantees. It may still leak afterwards.

If you want to install a new gasket, replace the glass too. Don't plan on re-using it. Chances are it will break coming out. Don't everybody argue. There are many variables.

Best method: Drive it to a glass shop and walk across the street for lunch while they do it. My .02 cents. Good luck!

11. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Sorry, after all that I forgot to answer your question! A pinchweld is where the body panels come together under the windshield. It's what the windshield, or gasket, is secured to. It's a common place for rust. Especially in the lower corners of our rigs.

12. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

My 79 shortbox did the same thing and I could never find it. Finally I took it to a shop and they found the leak where the emergency brake cable enters the cab. Got it sealed up and then had to sell it....damn.

13. BradB

BradB Registered Member

I have an '84 that did the exact same thing. It got worse the faster I went. Windshield looked good. I traced my leak to the kickpanel vents. I removed the plastic kick panel covers and vent bezel. I found that the factory neglected to install a circular strip of foam weatherstripping around the vent bezel in the kickpanel. (the passenger side was installed, and I have never had problems with that side leaking)Apparently water was dripping down the hood, hitting the plastic vent pieces as they protruded through the hole in the kick panel, which conducted the water in on the drivers side. I simply placed some weatherstripping in a position where the water would drip on to it (the stripping) above the vent bezel and redirected it to its designed course of drainage. I also placed some stripping around the bezel just in case. To date, no leaks. Hope this helps. Refer to the diagram of the air-vent-components in the LMC catalog. The seal that was missing from the drivers side was item #30-2340 air-vent-seal. Good Luck!!