Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rain making motor cut out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trev1981, Feb 7, 2007.

1. trev1981

trev1981 Registered Member

i just bought my 84 blazer a few weeks ago, it runs rough sometimes, low on power, and now when i drive in the rain its 10x worse. At first i thought it was the carb, but now i think its the ignition. What do you think? It has new wires.

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Similar thing happened to me, turned out that the intake manifold was cracked and causing a vacuum leak and cold starts and moisture make it run worse.

But there is the possibility of moisture condensing on the inide of the dissy cap.

3. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

make sure your dist cap is on right/tight. if its loose or not sitting right and it gets wet in there it will run like crap and possibly stall out

4. trev1981

trev1981 Registered Member

just got done changing plugs and the coil. Problem seems to be gone. one of the plugs was alittle wet and oily. what would cause that?

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

usually a valve cover leaking on it.

It it happens again, mix a water/soap mixture in a spray bottle and while the engine is running spray the distr. cap with the mixture and if it starts arcing then that is your problem. Will also work on the wires, but you already fixed that issue. Must do this inside the garage or when there isn't too much light outside so that you can see the arcing.