Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rain protection with top off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Jun 15, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think I'm the only guy on this site that does it like me. I take my top off in the spring and put it back on in the fall...no more, no less. It seems everyone else changes their Blazer according to the weather. Since that is a huge pain in the butt, I just leave it topless all summer. So here's the question. Anyone using a green or blue tarp to keep the rain out? I saw them in a Harbor Freight tool catalog and I thought maybe it would be a good idea. Lots cheaper than regular canvas.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I'm going too do the same was going too look into a water proof truck or car cover of some sort.The one's that have elastic.

3. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I had been using a green tarp an bungy cords this year but we just had a big storm and the tarp ripped where the spare tire sticks up and the inside got drenched. Well now I got the top back on cause it has been raining a lot here in NY. Sometimes I wish I was somewhere like Az where it doesn't rain much. Guess I need to save up for a soft top.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Topher

Topher Registered Member

I keep my hardtop off all year, and keep the Skyler softtop on when it rains or is too cold for the open air treatment. The summers are hot but since the winters aren't THAT cold in Texas I can deal with just cranking the heat and shivering a little bit (cranking the tunes and "gettin' down" to the music to get your body heat going helps a little too <g>). Anyway, before I bought the Skyler top I used a blue tarp secured with bungie cords to keep the rain out but over time that became a pain in the rear to mess with.

Just be sure to do like how Blazerbob has it in his picture for that size tarp; tucking the front of the into the doors helps with front. And then secure the rear in a way that lets the rain slide off so as to not collect & sink in the middle and pull the sides of the tarp in the bed thus rendering the whole thing useless. I had a larger tarp than in the pic and so was able to pull the front over the cab and hang down just below the windshield; then the sides were secured with bungie cords that connected to the front wheel wells. Having the tarp in front & covering the mirrors helps a bit since the mirrors act as a snag to help keep the tarp from blowing back in strong wind.

However, if funds allow and you plan to keep your hardtop of for any length of time I strongly suggest getting a softtop at least. I don't know if you heard about that wicked tornado storm that blew threw downtown Fort Worth a few months back but I was at college and not too far from the crap. We had some of the most intense hail & wind I've seen in awhile and my Skyler top held up just fine. Of course I had the wooden bow in the middle to prevent the water from sinking the top and ruining it. I left school with a bunch of dents in my cab & hood but not a scratch or mark on the top. Boy I was gladly surprised!

Well good luck and sorry for the long post.

Chris
    85 & 78
    ...one's running...both need work

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I just put a tarp over the steering wheel and gage cluster. I have vinyl seats and just the rubber flooring so everything else is ok. I was using a bigger top as well and closing it in the doors and pulling it back to cover the front seats. The neighborhood cats thought it was a kitty tent and left cat hair all over the seats. It came off easy, but these are the same stupid cats that put tracks all over my '96 Z-34 every time I wash and wax it! I need a big dog around.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I use a tarp when I leave my top off. Since it takes my friend and I just a few minutes to get it back on, then sometimes I don't use the tarp. Also, it's my daily driver as well, so if it's raining then the top needs to be on. The tarp works really well and it's simple to put on by yourself. I use bungy cords and that makes it a lot easier too.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Black tarp (to match the Blazer) and about 10 bungee cords to make sure the tarp doesn't get blown off. This works well when it's parked. Fortunately I have another truck to drive everyday so I just let the Blazer sit when it rains.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Get soft tops!!!

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

When I used to take the top off of my old '85, I used to put a tarp over it to keep it dry. It worked ok, but there were always a spot or two that sagged and created a pool. Now I have a '73 and leave my top off year round. I took out my carpet and replaced it with a rubber floor cover from a stripper truck and bottom only rubber bed-liner that I trimmed to fit. I got a Tuffy security console to keep my stereo dry and safe and don't ever have any problems except for wet seats, but they dry out fast and I just bring a towel to sit on until they do. For really wet weather when i used to be stationed in Virginia, I'd put my doors back on, roll up the windows and put on a bikini top from a Toyota FJ-40, it worked very well. Another option for the seats are the Wet-Okole seat covers made out of wet suit materiel. Just don't expect them to last for more that a year if they get exposed to sunlight much. What I do now is just buy the cheap seat covers at Pep-Boys and deal with the wetness. I end up replacing them about once every two years.

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have a tonoe cover from a pick-up truck for a shade cover.I have a full cage.I use snaps to attach it to the windshield frame and the back top bar of the cage.I also use bungees inside to pull the sides tight work great.Keeps the shade off when out on the trail in the summer.With the doors on and the windows up it keeps the rain out also on the road.I use a tarp and cover the whole rig and bungee it on.Also keeps some of the wind off of me.I got it for free from a friend so it was a great deal.I was going to get a softtop but $500 for something I'll just rip up on the trails isn't worth it to me!!Brady

12. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Another way to help keep water from pooling is to leave the tailgate down and put the tarp from the top of the cab down through the bed

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Mine is a weekend thrasher and has the top off from Aprill till Nov. It has a Bikini top that I made from a canvas tarp, some snaps and a couple of peices of Conduit. It works ok and you stay mostly dry while driving. I found some Lawn furnature covers at K-Marts fit the seat to keep them dry. I'm also getting a fairly water proof storage box for the rear. Durring the week I put the bikini up then throw a tarp over it. Keeps it dry inside and keep the bird poop off (parked under a tree). It is bungied down and never puddles...what does get around the tarp just runs back out since I have no interrior :)
    I got some pic that I will develope soo and you can see the top in it. I'll put them up on my site here.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/