Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rain sucks !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

The other night while on the way home I had a tie rod end go bad (1:30) and it was raining I was lucky to be able to go over 20 mph. so the next day (still raining) I had to fix the ol K-5 in the rain because my garage is full of parts that I have not had time to put on. while laying underneath my rig
    I was wondering how many other people had luck like mine
    so tell me what has been everyones worst conditions for repair. It may make me feel better to know that I am not the only one with bad luck

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I work on log trucks for a living.
    How many do ya want?
    Ok personal rigs.
    How many do ya want? LOL
    I haven't had a garage to work in in a long time. I just put on rain gear with coveralls and have at her.
    I'm sorta used to it.
    The most memorable was the broken tie rod that I held together with vice grips and made it home.
    stopping every 10 feet to kick the tires back ino place and doing all over again.
    In the pouring rain.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Today it was 106 degrees here and very humid... nasty stuff. My car (Dodge Neon) over heated due to the clamp on the radiator hose broke for some unknown reason and water/coolant wasspraying everywhere. I had to pull over on the freeway at 4:45pm which is rush hour and crawl under my car and rig up a bungee cord to hold the hose on so I could get it to a gas station to fill it with water long enough to get it to my grandma's to fix it... lemme tell you, fun stuff! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I don't mind doing stuff when its 90 or 100 outside. The stuff that kills me is when its super cold outside. I remember helping a friend install an amp in his truck when it was about 10 or 15 degrees out. By the time we got done I couldn't feel my toes or fingers for a few hours.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Changed the u-joint on my Blazer the other weekend and it was raining so hard that my driveway (which is slightly sloped) turned into a friggin mini-river with me lying in the middle of it. It got so bad that it actually started to wash my grease gun down the driveway.

So ya, Rain sucks....

Step 2 You[​IMG]

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Last August when we put the lift on our Jimmy it was 108 and 109 the Sat and Sun we did it. I didn't mind the heat that much, except you had to wear gloves because the tools and parts got to hot to handle.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I cant count how many times I have had to fix something on the side of the road or on the trail in the rain. It sure does suck!

The most recent thing that is pissin me off about rain is that we have nice days most of the week and then the one day I want it to be nice, Friday, it rains!!!!!! Every Firday we have to play roller hockey on a slick rink!!!!!! :(

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I replaced the intake manifold on my old Buick Skylark in a February sleet storm - no garage either - in the driveway. If anyone's ever been to Kentucky in the winter, then they know it can get real nasty here. Talk about being numb from head to toe!! It was my daily driver at the time and I had to take a day off from work to do it, too! Man that sucked!!

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had the vacuum front axle disconnect go out on me in the middle of a snow storm...no carport and I really needed 4 WD. This was in my old S-10...so I dressed as warm as I could and had to shovel 14" of snow away from the front of the truck and fix it in the driveway. I couldn't wear gloves and it prolly took 2 hours for my hands to regain some feeling.

That really sucked...2 weeks later I traded for my Jimmy.

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

10. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Damn right it sucks!

A few days ago I was installing the transmission and transfer case in my K5, and as usual here in North Wales, it was pissing down. The 'garage' (more barn that garage) was full, but obviously, without a tranny, I couldn't get the truck in there anyway.

Lying on wet ground installing a TH-350 and NP203 with a trolley jack and blocks of wood in the rain in no fun. I was wrestling with the transfer case for hours, all through the night. I didn't get ANY sleep, having worked right through to the next morning; how's that for enthusiasm?! Needless to say I was SORE for a while afterwards, but having a working truck made it all worthwhile.

Yendor

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Okay...here it goes. Me and Nick were coming home for college one summer. I was in my dually ('82 chevy) and nick was driving his '79 blazer. I was pulling a goosneck with my horse, tack, and all our crap from our dorm rooms. Nick was pulling his '56 project. We got about half way there (500 miles one way) and the blazer lost it's tranny. Well, turns out it needed to be rebuilt. So, we hooked the blazer with the '56 in tow to the back of my horse trailer and towed it to a tranny shop. BTW: The dually had a 383 stroker in it with a 4 spd.....can you say hoss truck!!!! Anyway, so we had to leave the blazer and that trailer there cause it was 100+ degrees out side and I had the horse. So, we went the next 250 miles to drop the trailer, horse and crap off and stayed in town for about a week. The tranny was done, so we trucked (in the dually...ain't no caddy) 250 miles back to the tranny shop, gave them Nick's left arm [​IMG] and headed back. Then, on the way back to school...and just about there too, the dually bucked and kicked and backfired and then just flat died. Since we were cruisin down the highway, I just popped the clutch and it just rumbled down to a stop. Well, popped the hood (100+ degree weather) and found a hole melted in the distributer cap. WTF??? Nick ran to the nearest parts store (10 miles away...we were in BFE) and got a new cap, rotor, and coil. So, put that stuff on and she fired right up! Went about 10 miles...and started bucking, backfiring, and then dead again. So, another cap, rotor, coil, and thing that sits under the rotor and stuff....can't remember the name of it right now. Well, she fired right up after everything is installed. We got into Odessa, Texas and for what ever reason it started pooring down rain. It's a desert out there, so we were surprised. And we were even more surprised when we came off the highway and the off ramp had a stop sign at the end of it. Who in the hell would expect that. Well, Nick slams on his breaks and me....I'm towing 10,000+ pounds, floored the brake petal. It locks the tires and I'm sliding. I got on the CB and just started yelling, "Get outta the way!!!!! Can't stop!!!!" About that time, SLAM!!!! I hit nick's trailer. He was at an angle so I just popped up on the ramp and he floors it (delayed reaction) and basically pulls the trailer out from under the dually. When he did that, the front tire ran across the light. So, the truck hit the ground. I sat there in the dually looking around and soaking it all in. I thought, "Well, looks like everything's okay....better check the horse." I go to open the door and "SWOOSH" and the driver's side front corner goes down. M@#$# F@#!@#!!!! Flat tire!!!! I limp the truck over to the side of the road and get out and look. The tire has a slice all the way through to the rim. Damnit!!! I don't have a spare!!!!! I check the horse...he's fine....a little wild eyed, but he's okay. So, me and Nick sit there for a second....I said, "I wonder if the trailer tire will fit on the dually....it's a 16" rim." Well, it's almost 6pm....ya know the time when all the tire places start closing. Faster than all get out, we put the trailer tire on the dually and head over to the nearest tire shop. They only have a brand new tire that will fit. So, slap it on and we're rolling again. The rest of the trip was pretty quiet....all but the swarm of migrating grasshoppers, it was pretty quiet.

I hope you enjoyed my novel. [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn...aside from a few big assed bugs my trip went just a bit smoother than that![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Ignition modual! That's what the name of it was! [​IMG]

It took us 22 hours to drive 500 miles. We both were starting to suffer from the heat and had to stop for a while. It sucked!!!!!

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

14. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Frame tore and twisted 180 degrees at the steering box about 25 miles from home. About 30 seconds later it started to rain. Best part, I'd just taken the top off at home. Murphy was standing on my hood laughing at me that day. Never fails.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

15. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Replacing a starter when the air temp was aound -10 with wind chills around -40 with no garage in BFE with feet of snow on the ground. That was so fun.........NOT!! Not the worst thing to happen.....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

16. ragtop

ragtop Registered Member

After readin all the above.....I'm havin a great day in the rain!!!!!

'88K5 - 350TBI, 700R4, 208, 3.42 10 bolts w/Auburns & 31s
    Ragtop - [​IMG]

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

ok heres mine.i live in central fla near tampa,my youngest brother and his wife lived in georgia where he was going to law school.he was gonna transfer to fsu in tallahasee,somy mom and dad leave out on friday to go help him pack and move.sandi and i leave out on sat.morn.,with my dads truck(a 90 model chev.1500 4x4)we get about 5 miles down the road and the load shifts.i turn around and head back to totally un load the truck and reload it(we were bringing more stuff up to them at their new place)well,after i reload the truck we head out.every thing is fine we hit i 75 and get to cookin.we pass thru gainesville(a little more than100 miles from our home)and on the radio they say its 106 degrees.well i figger we'll stop at the next exit,get gas, stretch our legs,hit the bathrooms, and get some drinks.im runnin prob 85-90mph in the left lane and start thinkin about gettin over to the right lane not knowing how far the next exit is,when i look in the side view mirror theres cars around me so theres no where to go,as im watching the mirror i see this HUGE white cloud come up and start screaming to sandi"get me the f*ck over i cant see!"she rolls down the window and looks out,well to no suprize everyone that was around us is now hard on the brakes getting away from us!clear sailing!so im off in the grass(after crossing 3 lanes HARD)still doin 65 or so.lucky i didnt put the truck sideways,i cut it so hard!as were stopping i tell her to get out and get away from the truck in case were on fire.she bails out and i look under the truck to see whats up.and guess what i see,YEP I SEE TRANNY FLUID!!DUMPING EVERYWHERE!dont laugh too hard.me and trannys!i know!well the fluid didnt flame up suprizingly enuff as wed been runnin the piss outta the truck for almost 2 1/2 hrs.so i grab the cell we borrowed from a friend of sandi(we didnt have one at the time)and call my dad whos in georgia still.well he tells me to call someone thats at home and get the #for the towing company he uses for his shop.i do then call the towing co.tell them who i am(my dad does ALOT of business with them)and tell them im in my dads personal truck(pullin in some stroke here)so the dispatcher(the owner)tells me hell send a truck right out.the cell dies right after the call and i dont have the cord for it.so im figgerin like 2 hrs and well be headin home.not quite.after over 6 hrs of baking in the sun in fla in july,w/ no shade to be found,sandi is has pretty much passed out,im dehydrated somethin feirce and gettin weak myself, not to mention sun burned to a crisp,the police show up.they are a special team like thing to help people broke down on the interstate.they had been by several hrs earlier,and we told them wed be ok a wrecker was comin.well when they found us still there they were sure we were done.(remember way up top i said it was 106 deg.)well ive never put sandi in a car with someone we dont know but hey theyre cops!so they take sandi to the next exitand bring back lots of water.at almost 7 hrs the wrecker shows up.the dispatcher fell asleep after talkin to him and forgot us for 5 hrs!!!!!!!and was freakin out when he realized it. well to add insult to injury they had the nerve to charge my dad 320 bucks for the tow!well the owner heard all about it on monday morn.when my dad got back to work.he severly cut the cost after hearing the condition sandi and i were in.that was almot 3 yrs ago,my dad has yet to use them again after using them exclusively for 10 yrs.he still calls dad to get his business back occasionally,he tells him to go stand in the sun and hell call back in 7 hrs.well this is prob turned into a novel so im done so its good that im done![​IMG]

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

18. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Or swapping out a 4.0 in my Cherokee in the dead of a Maine winter outside. Only to get broadsided by a drunk driver 2 weeks later, totaling the thing.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Nothing too bad like that, just some digging out a 2wd in the worst winter storm Kentucky saw in 100 years when I was there last.
    I do have one story though. I drove armored truck for a couple of years when I lived in the Bay Area of CA a few years ago. Going to Fremont on I-80 going through Oakland on a Friday afternoon about 4 pm. I'm in the far left lane running at 65mph, the thing had a governor couldn't go any faster. Heater hose blows, don't know it at the time, I just see a lot of smoke behind us. Pull beside the center divide and call the shop to send help. About an hour later, CHP SHUTS DOWN all the southbound lanes so we can move the truck over to the right side of the freeway for a 15 minute fix.

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"