Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rain

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Mar 27, 2005.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Today I stood in the rain on a bridge and watched the rain fall into the river. As the rain fell into the water, each little raindrop would make a little ripple. Each little ripple would start as a small little nothing, and grow into a bigger, more pronounced wave. But as I looked at the river as a whole, every ripple was lost in the surface of the river as the rain came down. So many little ripples made one big mess, so that an individual raindrop was so insignificant that it meant nothing. Even the sounds of the individual raindrops were lost in the downpour.

It occured to me then that the river and the rain are a lot like life, that our lives are like raindrops, and the ripples we make are insignificant and lost in the big picture. And I started thinking about what we're here for. What's the point of all this? What am I suppposed to do with what I've got?

I'm at the point in my life where it's time for me to start deciding what I want to do with myself. I'm almost through my second semester of college, and I've f*cked around too much and I'll be happy to make it out of my freshman year with 12 credit hours. I think that I lack the will power to do anything with myself and that scares me. The other day, I heard that one of my best friend's mother was talking a lot of sh*t about me, saying how I'm lazy, and spoiled, and I will grow up and live off my family's work. Before then I hadn't really given all this too much thought, but now I'm starting to wonder what I will do with all this. If I don't pull a 2.5GPA this semester, my college funding is cut off. I realize that if I plan on making any decent amount of money in my life, I'll need a college degree, but I don't have the will-power to back that up. As it stands, I want to be a mechanical engineer, but I don't know if I'll be able to do that anymore with the way my grades are. But I'm not sure that that's what I want. I love drawing things and designing things and building things, but I don't want to turn my love into a 9-5 desk job that I absolutely loathe. But I also don't want to be a CPA (no offense to any finance types out there, it's just not my thing) and spend the rest of my years in a back office crunching numbers for a conglomerate I despise.

I think I need some sort of guidance and I don't know where to look. I believe in God, and I've prayed to God for help, but it seems to me that I dig myself deeper and deeper and can't seem to make myself stop.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I am not happy with my life right now and I don't know where to go with it. I'm not sure why I posted all this, but I think I just needed to say it. It's a funny thing, life. And it amazes me how I can infer all this from standing on a bridge watching rain fall into a river.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Very profound insight. Beautiful...

First of all, nothing is futile if you can make the collective conciousness of the world better. In all your action strive to set a good and positive example. Don't be overly sappy and moronic, just be the man you know you should be but don't know if you can be. Hold the door, help the weak, protect the innocent, etc.

Secondly, balance. Balance is everything. You have to balance work and play, life and living, what you need to do and what you want to do. It's hard to look ahead and make descisions based on what you think you see, but sometimes it needs to be done.

Do what makes you happy, but make sure that when you are happy, you are also being productive. Work feeds on work. If you have any art in you, cling to it, nurture it. Even if it's nothing special, it makes you feel as if an impact is made. A day is not wasted if you have put some beauty in it

Make a descision. Hesitation never helps. You don't have to stick with it, you just need direction for the time being. Make sure your descision is productive in some way.

Even if you fail at everything else, being a good person will redeem you.

Good luck and remember, it'll be alright

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmm I'v been around the block and had a similar life experience to what you had. I saw lots of raindrops making ripples in my day
    NBD Hang in therre everything will turn out ok.
    You are young. You will question your self all thru your life.
    Find a goal. make it a vision. place yourself there. It will happen if you belive in your self.
    You are lucky to be in skool
    I have absoulety no education. But I totally belive in my self I know I am the most kick ass Mo FO that evevr came along. And that i am rich and fameous even tho Nobody knows who the FK I am. But i play a mean Bass and blow the harp like sweet morning. I am comfortable as far a money goes. Got a good fambly with crazy teenagers who love me. Got most things many people wish they had.
    But all I want is salvation.
    There is a lot more to life than "Been therre Done that"

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think most all of us have stood on that same bridge watching th rain and contemplating our direction in life. It's not an easy subject to ponder and can be overwhelming.

I'd like to say there is a day when everything comes together and makes sense, but I haven't had that day yet either. I cannot make decisions for the rest of my life, the implications overwhelm me. I have found that setting near term goals is a lot easier though.

Regarding your school and the courses you're taking, I'd have to say stick with it, but don't let your schooling pigeon hole you. There are many different ways your training can be utilized in many different jobs. So rarely does training A = job B and nothing else. Your job possibilites will only be limited by too narrow a focus when you're done. Even if you find a job unrelated to your schooling at first it's not a bad thing. Every experience has value, to you and to future employers.

IMO I'd use your Mom's friends words as fuel to use to prove her wrong. Set some short term goals regarding pulling up your grades and improving your work ethic. Every sucess will help your motivation and personal sense or morale. You do want her to eat her words one day don't you?

Chin up brother, if it was easy we'd all be doing it. If it was easy how much would you value it at the end? An education should be hard...or you'd never value it.

Rene

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

rain rain,go away....

I hate the rain!--it ruins an otherwise productive day!--only good thing it does is water the crops,its good to walk in with a pretty girl,or ponder life's many mysteries as you did--but mostly the rain sucks... :mad:

Your post remings me of the song "The River" by Garth Brooks...listen to it if you can--its has a message in it similar to what your asking,and an answer or two.. :cool1:

I stay away from bridges lately!--too tempted to jump in !--up until the past few weeks,when spring finally has started to melt the snow,I was pretty bummed out about my life--I still am in ways,but a few recent developments have helped me keep my chin up..I hope the same can happen to you--

Its hard to make big decisions--I wish I did lots of things different--but the only way to find out if you were wrong is to TRY--doing nothing is worse than the wrong thing sometimes...at least time is on your side--dont let
    time slip away and find yourself asking theese questions when your 47 like I am now--its REAL hard to work the way you did at 24 when your in your 40's!--

Pick a carreer with room for advancement,so you can still DO a job,but aren't in the trenches digging ditches when your old--my trade was supposed to be idustrial maintennence--I ended up as a counterman in parts stores for 20 years,then worked at a junkyard--

I liked the junkyard best in some ways--but the work is harder,and clothes didn't last long--the employee discount was good at both places--but neither payed a living wage you could buy a house or new car on though...had I pursued a carrer as a maintinence engineer I'd be behind a desk as a supervisor most likely by now--instead,I have to practically beg for any work period--my 10 year abcence from the working world has most employers reluctant to hire me--they dont like to hire anyone without a recent job history for some reason-...Good luck with whatever you decide... :crazy:

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replies and advice y'all, I'll take it to heart.

I have a lot of thinking to do in the coming days.

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm 24, and don't even know what I'm doing yet. I went and finished College in 4.5 years, and even though I got a degree in Business Management, I started working at a Radiator shop and helping with my mom's Janitorial business. I wasn't even going to go to college, but my mom said I was, and I did cause my Dad would have wanted me to.

Right now, I'm still a "part-time janitor", and spend all the rest of my time working on trucks and 4x4's to make extra money. I'm a "spoiled" person, being left all the stuff that I have. I have it aloot easier than most.

Still, I need to also find some direction. I only know that right now, trucks and 4x4's are my life as far as what I do all the time. Every day is a dozen different parts and trade deals going on. It's what I like to do.

I believe in God, and that he will give people like you and me direction. It won't always be a direct answer, but probably will come slowly over time. We just need to keep aware and alert of any opportunities he sets out there. I figure there are many different fields to go into. I could still be working at the radiator shop, but I knew that wasn't my place. Just keep your eyes and options open, and something will come along... maybe not right away, but it will eventually.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

If I may use your belief in God for my answer:

"If ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth unto you" - Moroni 10:4

Keep praying about it. Every night, every morning, every afternoon, any time you can get a few minutes alone to get on your knees. It works, I have a testimony of it. I'm not saying you don't need to sit yourself down and figure some stuff out, but it's kinda like Wayne's World. "If you book them, they will come" or something like that... If you ask for the help sincerely, it will come. It may be a while, and you may not even recognize it when it comes, but I promise you things will work out if you keep that faith. Just keep thinking about it, and keep trying to think of what to do with your life, and God will make a way for it to happen, if it's truly what you should be doing. Yes, it does suck not having any direction. I'm going to school right now myself. For what, I have no idea. I work at a place where there's really no room to move up in the company. I'm almost 21, I want to figure out what I'm going to do with my life. You're not the only one :cool1:

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Can't add much to what's already been said, but what's important is to discipline yourself to not quit, regardless of what the world threatens. Use what people say about you, and the negative things you say to yourself as fuel to get to where you gotta go. It's easier than trying to " think positive " all the damn time, or worrying about what others say.

I think winston churchill said that if we are overcome by despair, then we shall carry on in despair.. the key is to carry on.

In the new testament, the apostle paul had to wrestle the archangel gabriel, before the angel would impart his blessing. sometimes, we have to wrestle for our blessing. Why? I don't know.

Learn what motivates you and cultivate it. Be disciplined enough to do whatever you do with excellence. Emotionally connect what you want with what you have to do to get there, and things will start working out.

Tom