Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

raise(s) w00t!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Jan 24, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Every year we get a 'merit raise' at work which is your annual review score, modified by either an addition or subtraction based on what bean counters think the company can afford to pay ya. For instance, last year I got a review score of 4 (out of 5) and the modifier was +0.5... so I got a raise of 4.5% last year. Not bad, better than inflation tends to be anyway.

Any-who, this year I got 4.5 on my review... and today I find out that in addition to that raise, we are going to get another one. Basically, to many good experienced people are leaving for the same positions at different companies (that pay more)... to combat that phenomenon my company is going to raise the pay scales for all of us. This is pretty cool. I have no idea what it will amount to, but my thifty, soon-to-buy-a-house azz doesn't really care. :thumb: As if all that wasn't good enough, if I complete some training I could get yet another raise this year when I go from "Security Guard I" to "Security Guard II". Dunno if that'll happen this year or not. We'll see. In any case, multiple raises in one year = w0000t! :grin: :thumb:

this oughta make the 401k balance happy. As soon as my merit increase goes through, I'm gonna bump my contribution up 1 more percent. I already get the full match (dollar for dollar up to 6%... not bad at all!) but a few extra bucks will really add up over the long haul, and I won't miss the $ anyway. :)

j

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Thats sweet. I need to check into my 401k and raise it a little

3. enginenine

enginenine Registered Member

Always give it at least the max matching rate. That's free money right there!

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, all the "rules" say to put just enough in the 401k to max out the match and then put extra $ into a RothIRA... if that is maxed, a taxable account. Solid advice for sure, but I'd like to get some $ into my 401k as early as possible. I've had my Roth for 7-8 years now... the 401 needs to catch up a bit. ;)

j

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Congrats, man :waytogo: !!