Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raise your hand

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by neverendingproject, Feb 6, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Raise your hand if you have a "While im at it" syndrome.

was goona be 383 stroker

while I was at it, 14sf, lift, crossover, new seats, hydro boost, 89-91 front clip.:doah:

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

You know I'm here.

Was going to be a 14bff swap....

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can I raise both hands?

Was gonna be a full bodied rig on 40's. I now have another frame, am studying link design, and am saving up for a tubing bender. :doah:

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is my 'while i'm at it' clusterfock story.

Bought some 6" Alcans, got a smokin deal and of course i can't wait to stuff them under the truck. Oh wait...gonna need crossover with that much flex. Oh yeah and really long shocks and brake lines and better bump stops. Dammit, the springs also push the rear diff back and the front diff forward...1.5" at both ends. Gonna need drivelines too.

:doah: :doah: :doah:

Drivelines are not cheap, I really don't want to have to redo them later...

Well, might as well buck up, rebuild my NV4500, get the NWF dual T-cases and then only need to build the drivelines once right? :crazy: Have you ever browsed the NWF site? It's kinda like a wal-mart for crack heads...err I mean ck5 heads. Ooooh triple stick, oooooh, 1410 yokes, oooh look at the new billet bearing retainers...

That's where I'm at...because I saw a deal on some alcan springs that i couldn't pass up. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Rene

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

got ya all beat.... I bought a $150 1955 willys body to put on my 79 jimmy for a narrow trail rig. sold the 79 and bought a 77 to start with for the chassis.....

the list then added
    TBI
    4speed swap and 205 out of the 78 burb i bought
    3/4 axels
    traded rear for one with a detroit
    traded front for one with a true tac in it
    went from 4" blocks to a 4" flip to 57's fords and lowrider shackles
    fronts went from 4" ranchos
    to 52" rears but i figure if i am gonna make mounts might as well add 57's up front too.
    swapped the clutch to hydro then twin sticked the 205
    swapped the tank for a TBI set up.

so basicly I swapped everything out atleast once,LOL

and I bought a 68 burb to be a tow rig just needed my extra 3/4 axels.....
    it sits in the driveway with 8" of lift, crossover, hydro boost brakes, my 40 gallon burb tank. 37's in vancouver for it ydro clutch with a clocked 208 and the 307 came out for a 350 i had. the 350 is being sold for a 400 sbc i found. oh and the interior is gutted since I hated the dash (lack of gauges) and the seta sare out for newer ones,LOL

sold my daily driver back in november so i walk the 3 miles to work everyday at 6am,LOL!!!!!

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Sierra Club would be proud! :rotfl:

I would be a "while I'm at it..." type, but I got no money. Driving an hour to and from school in a brick-shaped ....brick eats up spare cash. Oh well, there's always summer...

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its called the Law of Unintended Consequences - One thing leads to another and so on. It is the story of my life.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I was just going to trim my fenders after I went to the 42's.
    1k later.....
    [​IMG]

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

All I wanted was enough lift to clear some 35s because I did not want to trim my perfect body. Now I am detroit 1 ton'd with an exo and enough trimming to clear my 39.50 Pitbulls.
    I have only put 7K into it in the last 12 months.:doah:

I should have just finished my Duster.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hear ya Leper, I could have bought a street car project but figured it'd be cheaper to get into wheeling. I'm an idiot.

Someone had a sig quote that said something about how one mod always snowballs into the mother of all buildups, with the end result being we're broke and never go wheeling...so true :doah:

I'm gonna tear my truck apart in basically a year and a half and I'm already thinking of doing a p/u cab and flatbed to "keep it going" for a year...yep, I'm a genius alright.

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

That would be me...

I bought the truck with 12" of lift and useless bumpers and a 383 stroker.

When I damn-near tipped the thing over 14 times on a level 2 trail before busting the front driveshaft, I decided to some new suspension. After reading on here for 3 months, it was a 52/56 swap that I ended up doing

WHILE I WAS AT IT, I decided to do...
    Ford shock towers
    Crossover steering
    ORD Steering brace
    New oil pan (old one would have contacted the pinion on flex)
    New HAD 42degree front driveshaft
    The New bumpers brought along a used Warn 8274 winch

Now that I could actually get places with the truck, I needed traction. When I learned my rear locker was actually a malfunctioning GovBomb and the wife had cut off my "truck budget" after all the other stuff, a friend welded it up for me, and WHILE WE WERE AT IT we did the front too. WHILE I WAS at his shop having the Lincoln Lockers installed, I came across some H1 Wheels and an air compressor with a tank. Those should be installed within a couple weeks

Now I look into my crystal ball and see:

WHILE I'M OUT wheeling with all these new toys, I'm sure I'll break the 'ol 10 bolt, so I'll be looking for a D60, and While I'm at I might as well do hydro-assist and 5:13's all around. Then WHILE I'M 1-tonned, locked & beadlocked, I'll need to go slower, so I'll have to look into the doubler plate and a triple stick to go with the 203 Range box I have sitting in my garage and 205 Case in my truck. WHILE I'M AT that, I'll have to have the drivelines redone.

It's a sick, dangerous cycle and I love every minute of it :D

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

it was just going to be the cummins swap... now its a bodylift... custom made
    supension
    core support mods
    an aluminum flatbed
    maybe exocage

it will NEVER be done in my lifetime... I might as well have said the NEVERENDING PROJECT too.....

cam

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

heres mine, i grew tired of the cold air blowing between the door and the floor (rocker panel was bad) next thing i know, i have no floor in the driver side of my truck. a 1 day project took all week.

pushing my old s10 into the garage with my truck, the bumpers became entangled, so i had to cut one of them. since the one on my truck was already bad, i cut it off. then came the plow mount, then i bought a protools bender and built a front bumper for my truck. then i needed lights for the bumper, i got some, and wired it up.

i had transfer case issues, had to replace it. this was about the time when DP90_k5 had those clocking rings, so i bought one, bought a short adapter, and clocked my tcase when i put the new one back in.

last year, i had a cracked flexplate, and i needed motor mounts, so i pulled the stock motor. then i desided, since its out, why not put the other on i have built in it.

then my auto went out, didn't have the money to rebuild it, wanted a stick. so i bought a 465/208 from my friend, then disided if im doing it, i may as well go hydro.

the next one i working on, im dragging my feet on the balljoints till i get everything i need for crossover. why pull the knuckle twice? im also replacing the axle seals and the ujoint i havn't replaced yet while im at it.

14. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Fortunatly for me I know I have the syndrome based upon past projects and how long they were torn apart for "some exhaust work" or a "stronger rear end". So now I am just starting to collect parts, cause I know once I change bumpers, get bigger tires, upgrade to a d60 or just about anything else all bets are off:doah:. I still don't know if this is good or bad but my wife has been cool about parts being stacked in the yard:bow: , so who cares?

So at this point I collect stuff and can still enjoy driving it.