Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raised doubler oiling

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by great scott, Mar 24, 2004.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Last week I raised my SM 465/ Doubler combo above the frame rail and added allmost 9 square feet of skid plate and of course a new cross member. Problem is, it didnt take long for the out put bearing on the 205 get hot because the 80/90W dosent slope to it any more. For now I have just over filled the 205 but I have no Idea how over full it is. Were and how should I add a new fill plug?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

So, did you just jack up the back of the assembly by raising the cross member? I'm sort of surprised that this is causing a problem for the rear output. I've raised mine, but not quite that far yet, and had no issues. But I had planned on going higher still as soon as I ditch the engine mounted fan (which already hits the trimmed fan shroud).

I guess I would be tempted to just try to estimate where the desired level should be and figure out a way to get it there. Drill and tap is a possibility if you have it coming out anyway, but I hate pulling that thing. So, I would probably just rig a "L" shaped filler in the stock hole so that I could poor in from the top to get it to the level I needed. Next time out, look into redrilling maybe. Hmmm, might even be an opportunity to build in a sort of sight glass for quick visual checks of fluid levels. Just shooting from the hip…

I'm interested to see what comes of this post. Good luck...

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I just put a plug about mid way up the side cover of my 205, get's my fluid level up to where it needs to be.

4. BadDog

Great idea, using the PTO cover right? In fact, ORD has one with a fitting already in it that might work if you don’t have access to do it yourself...

5. great scott

I was thinking about the pto cover ORD sends out in the doubler kit my self. Do you think it would be the correct level, how do I tell?

6. BadDog

Beats me. Only thing that comes to mind is find the measurement for the location of the cover plug (can be flipped so 2 options unless centered) and compare against the original oil level relative to the output. To get that, find a stock 205 setup, or just look at yours and use some creative imagination to determine the approximate height of the gear oil relative to the output shaft before clocking.

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Use an NPT 90° ELL and thread it into your existing fill plug. Then thread a 3" Pipe nipple into that, and add a cap to cap it off and you're done!

Turn it up so its "plumb" and now you have successfully raised the level in your NP205.

I clocked mine up to where the input is level with the outputs and never had problems with oiling. (I realise your scenerio is different) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. great scott

That pipe idea has got me thinking. I could use diffrent length pipes starting off longer then shorter and shorter untill the 90W dosent foame any more? How hard is it to fill through a pipe, dose the air escaping give you fits? maybee that would give me a good idea how high to set the level then make my own pto cover with a fill plug were it stops foaming. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. great scott

Another thought, could I combine this pipe idea with Baddogs sight glass replacing the pipe to find the level, would the airation show up in the external sight tube.

10. BadDog

Hey Neil, I think I heard that idea somewhere before... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The site glass should let you see exactly what is going on if you get a clear tube that does not cloud or react to the lube. Once you find the level you want, mark it on the case for a reference, and your done...

Bleeding the air shouldn't be too big a deal as long as the vent is not plugged, but the vent is small so you may need to go slow.

11. great scott

now if I can free up a some time this weekend all give it a try.

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Neil, I think I heard that idea somewhere before...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I could tell by his reply that he knew Eeezackly what you were talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I use one of the 3 screw holes on the idler shaft cover plate for a sight hole. We drilled a fill hole toward the top of the case when it was built to fill with. Oil level should be somewhere around the bottom of the idler shaft. With all 3 gearsets in oil, lots of it gets slung around. Don't know why you'd have rear bearing problems, oil goes EVERYWHERE in these things. We've seen 203's pump oil several feet up a breather if it's not in the right place.
    The stock fill level is "within 1" of the fill hole". So in the factory rotatin, you overfill it if you top it up to the hole.