Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raised Steering Arm on a D44?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lance, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I've got my K5 up for sale and I'm not getting any bites. Sooo....I'm thinking of pulling my D60 out of the front and replacing it with a D44, that way I can lower the price.

My question is this, I've got a raised steering arm for a 10-bolt left over from my 4" lift that I never used, will it work on a d44? I know the simple answer would be to find an 8-lug 10-bolt but having a tough time locating one of those w/ the right gear ratio (more money).

Is there any cheaper / easier way to PROPERLY correct the steering mis-alignment? I don't want to sell something that is dangerous, but I don't want to sink any more money into this rig.

Thanks,

Lance

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, the steering arm is the same between D44's and 10 bolts. It should work with no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup, they are interchangeable.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there any cheaper / easier way to PROPERLY correct the steering mis-alignment? I don't want to sell something that is dangerous, but I don't want to sink any more money into this rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's mis-aligned? The steering wheel? If it's the steering wheel that's mis-aligned, a simple adjustment of the draglink will get it centered back up.
    Here's what you do: drive your truck in a straight line for a good 20 feet (just to make sure the wheels are going as straight as possible). Then, turn off your truck and put the key in the "run" position (this unlocks the steering wheel). Loosen the two bolts on the draglink adjusting sleeve and spin the sleeve around. I've found a plumbing pipe wrench does and EXCELLENT job of this. Turn it to either lengthen or shorten the draglink...whichever way you need to turn it to get the steering wheel to point "straight" so to speak.
    If you have a lift on your truck of 4-6" you need to install the raised steering arm. Without the raised arm, there just isn't a good/safe way to adjust the draglink enough on a lift that high so that the steering wheel is straight.

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses everyone. I thought they were the same, just didn't have a d44 handy to take a look at for comparison purposes.

Sorry for the mis-communication on the steering alignment. My drag-link is properly adjusted and my steering wheel is centered. I'm talking about the height differential that occurs between a stock steering arm and the pitman arm after you lift a K5. Thanks for the tips though on centering up the steering wheel.

Lance

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm talking about the height differential that occurs between a stock steering arm and the pitman arm after you lift a K5.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most common and best thing to use is the 4" raised steering arm. Beyond that, there are dropped (longer) pitman arms available and a two-inch dropped drag link (they have bends in them so that one end is 2" higher than the other - I've heard they suck). Once you get lifts higher than that you'll see people put spacer blocks on the knuckle and then attach the raised steering arm to that. And, of course...there are always the home-grown steering fixes that are almost always scary.