Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raised steering arm?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bob87Burb, May 8, 2005.

1. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I tried searching first, and found some good info, but it was mostly for trucks that are lifted more than mine. Here's what I have:

87 Sub, 1/2 ton, 4WD. 2" Rough Country spring lift, shocks, and steering stabilizer, new tie rods, and ball joints about 10k miles ago.

The truck rides great, and looks good (all that I was really after). The problem is steering wandering. It doesn't bump steer at all, but on the highway it seems to wander a bit. Nothing's loose, and the alignment is good. In looking around, the only thing I can see out of place is that after the lift, the tie rod that goes from the steering arm to the knuckle now sits at an angle, instead of flat. I'd guess the angle is about 10-15 degrees. Taking some quick measurements, if I raised the steering arm on the knuckle about 1.5-2", it would sit level. The only issue I can see with this is that I can't find a 2" steering arm, only the 4 inch and up, which would angle the tie rod 2" the other way.

So, could this tie rod not being flat cause steering wandering? If so, are there any manufacturers of a 2" arm, or any other solution?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

I know Superlift makes a drop drag link. Not sure if thats the route you wanted to take, but it should do what you need it to.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Did the 33's come at the same time the 2" lift was installed?

A dropped pitman arm will give about 2" of correction, but I doubt your draglink angle is the source of your problem.

4. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, that looks like it will work, after looking at Superlift's site. Now to find a source for it that's under $175. :crazy:

5. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

No, originally I had 32's with the stock suspension, then installed the lift. All the suspension/steering stuff was badly worn when doing the lift, so I replaced it. When I bought the truck, the steering was a lot worse than it is now, basically undriveable except for around town. After I replaced all the springs and suspension/steering stuff, it got a lot better. This is the last issue I need to take care of.

I failed to mention also, that when braking it seems to pull to one side. I've done the front calipers, pads, rotors, hard steel lines, rubber lines, rear shoes, and drums within the past month, and it didn't change a thing.

I just ran out and checked quickly, a thought came to mind that the front wheel bearings may be loose. It looks like the right front one has a little play in it. Obviously I'll take care of that today, but would that cause wandering like this?

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's possible, and the it's the next thing I was going to suggest. It may also be the source of "pulling when braking".

7. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Further proof, sometimes the answer is simple and right in front of you, but you're too smart to see it. :D

Now, this is going to sound dumb. When I did all this stuff two years ago, I borrowed a socket from a buddy. Thinking this socket is something I should have anyhow, and that said buddy is now 1000 miles away, what does the socket look like? I can't remember for the life of me. Autozone has some on the shelf, but I just get wierd looks from the kid when I go in there for stuff for my "old" truck.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

It looks like an extra large socket with 4 prongs on it. The one I got at Autozone has the number 25072 on it.

9. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

I purchased a block to raise the steering arm

from Steve's Offroad in Mobile, AL for my 73 when I installed the 2" lift.
    Worked like a charm.

Fred

10. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Tires? Rotate?

11. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Thanks Whiteburb for the part number, that will make it a lot easier.

Justwhatido, I'll check into that block. Seems cheaper than the drag link, and a good solution. Thanks!

BigBurban350, These tires have only been on the truck for about 2k miles. However, when I do the wheel bearings I'll rotate them. Can't hurt!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, this is what makes this site great!