Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

raising a motor, tranny and transfer case...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trouble1, Feb 28, 2003.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

305, 700 r-4, and NP208...I have a three inch body lift, and I want to gain clearance. I got the idea from another thread a while back...but no one really said if it can be done easily, or how. I know my mounts will have to go up and in, but how? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It "can" be done, but time/labor/frustration vs. gains might make it not worth while. While getting those things higher will help keep them out of harms way, you will be increasing the driveshaft angle (usually bad) as well as maybe needing to lengthen the shafts, will have to make sure all fuel and electrical lines have enough reach, exhaust mods will be necessary, tranny linkage bracket on the frame will have to be moved, fan shroud will have to be massaged or custom built, radiator hoses my need tweaking, not to mention air cleaner to hood clearance may be comprimised.

I'm not saying don't do it, but it may be more work than it's worth. A custom made skid plate(s) might provide as good or even better protection and would not be anywhere near as much hassle.

My .02

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

ok...I'm lost...with the body lift, wouldnt i just be putting it back where it was in relation to the body, fan shroud, linkage etc... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

your low point is your transfercase right? Why dont you clock it around to flat? There's a few posts on this at both ck5 and por... Still tough, but sounds a LOT easier than raising the whole kit and kaboodle.

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

never knew you could do that....time to search.....thanks for the idea... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Id say go with clocking the T-case.When you raise everything you also changing your center of gravity.Makes it easier to roll. : /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

What if he can't clock his T-case or do all blazers come with a clockable tcase? I don't know what I'm talkin about as you can tell! :lol

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, look at the profile pics of steve watsons rig on www.coloradok5.com ... his clocked-tcase set up results in MAD clearance.... as much as you'd prolly ever need...

j

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You would be putting the driveline back into the same place in relation to the body, but now it's relation to the frame, axles, gas lines, etc. will be changed. It will affect driveline angles the most. Again not saying it can't or shouldn't be done........also as stated, re-clocking the t-case might give you the most "bang" for the buck as far as clearance goes.