Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raising NP208 transfer case (updated)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CyberSniper, Jan 14, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody ever try raising up their NP208? I'd like to get mine up so the bottom of the case is even with the bottom of the crossmember. I've already put new transmission mounts in to try to alleviate the anchor syndrome. My driveline angles aren't going to get worse, they'll actually get better sadly enough.

Do you think I could raise the case up about an inch and not worry about crap hitting the floor under severe frame-twisting situations? All my body mounts are new.

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Raising NP208 transfer case

you may have oiling problems with it but I know one guy on here is doing it with an adapter from AZ Kickin and you might search for that.....Jason

3. CyberSniper

I mean lift the whole transfer case, transmission, and motor up by putting space between the transmission mount and the crossmember. I figured if people can lower a transfer case by dropping the crossmember and not have an oiling problem then I can get away with it too... or what?

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

never thought about that but I would worry about linkage issues and such. I know there is a guy here that has clocked his 208 like I said but I don't remember the post....Jason

5. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is the link you are referring to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Clicky

6. CyberSniper

There's a couple of them. There's the Dodge one and then there's the one that AZ Kickin' is doing.

The linkage looks like it'd work. I think I have a piece of 1/2" thick metal I'll try one of these days. If that works I'll go to 1".

7. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I actually did this by accident, got high centered and the area where the transfer case cross member is bolted to the frame got bent up so that it was sitting about half an inch higher than normal. This little difference was enough for the top of the transfer case to slightly hit the floor when accelerating hard. I think you better spend your time on making a nice beefy skidplate for the tranfer case.

8. CyberSniper

doh.

That's exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for letting me know.

9. CyberSniper

OK, I finally got around to lifting my transfer case 1/2". I stuck a piece of 1/2x3x8 flatstock between the transfer case adapter and the rubbers for the crossmember.

First thing I noticed is that my front driveshaft actually has space between it and the crossmember. The second thing I noticed is that the transfer case vent is now 7/8" from the tub. Everwhere else I can fit my hand through.

The transfer case now hangs 1/2" below my crossmember. Yee-hah, less chance of me chunking this transfer case.(!)

However, the front CV shaft on a 700R4/NP208 combo is now nearing its limits in flex and splines. The last two shafts I've boughten used have lasted a whopping 4 weeks. The first one already had a broken H-yoke and I blew it up in about a day. The second one was perfect when I got it but the splines are so sloppy in about 2 weeks use that it vibrates. The weird part is that the grease still looked good when I blew it out with new grease. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It probably has 1/4" deflection at the splines. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I'm actually considering puting my never-serviced 100k mile rustdust for ujoint bearings original shaft back in.

Anyway, I digress. I then took it for a drive on the highway at speeds ranging from 55-95mph. Holy drivetrain vibration batman! I thought I had bad vibration before at 72mph. Well, now it's at 65mph... and 70mph... and and and... I'd never experienced motion sickness before.

Needless to say, the transfer case is coming down until I find a CV rear shaft solution.