Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raising rear Burb floor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skratch, Nov 6, 2003.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Ok all the boatside suggestions have got me thinking, I'm aslo gonna need to gain rear clearance as well.

So here's what I'm thinking, how hard would it be to raise just the cargo floor of the burb so I can also raise the fuel tank. I'm thinking like 3" on the floor with a 1" bodylift so I can lift the tank about 4".

How hard/feasable do you guys think this would be? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dude my wife is gonna kill me if I start cutting this thing up the body alone cost $2 grand! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh but a rock monster Burb would be sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Its possible, but would just be easier to do a body lift and relocate/make new tank mounts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Sure, easier but not quite as cool! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PITA is my middle name! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I will let you know when I get mine done. I acquired another interior floor pan so I can retain the rear seat. I plan on raising the tank up flush with the bottom of the frame. I am going to install the entire extra floorpan above the existing one and seal the area around the tank and make storage boxes under the front portion under the rear seat. It is on my winter projects list along with a lot of other things.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Dude that sounds sweet. Thats kinda what I was thinking.

Do you have a tailgate or cargodoors?

I was thinking that I might run into a problem with the lower latches for the rear doors. That was about my only real concern in doing this project.

Keep me posted on your progress. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh but a rock monster Burb would be sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so would a drag racing dump truck

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have a tailgate but I am not going to remove the rear body support across the rear. I am actually going to move the tank forward about 3 inches to preserve the integrity (sp?) of the rear body mounts. Doing so would not intefere with the gate or door latches. I am also removing the spare tire well so I can cut the rear quarters at the trim line so I can wrap my rear bumper around to the wheel opening and support it off the side of the frame. My rear bumper will also turn under and create a skid plate for the tank bolted to the bottom of the frame. I will post some pictures as I progress. It is one of many mods for the winter time along with a front coilover suspension, identical to the Blazer, new front bumper, Dana 60 front and 14bolt ff rear, crossover steering, Custom Hummer wheels. It should be ready to "rock" by spring. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

If it turns out ok, I may just bring mine out there and have you do mine too! It sounds sweet. Basically the same ideas I've been playing with for a few years but don't have access to the tools to Fab the parts I need. Keep me posted

Oh yeah would you guys be able to build an axle truss for a D70? I'm trying to locate one to put under my rig with the Hummer rims too.

Thanks again, Mike

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I will keep you posted on the progress. If you can not find a 70 I traded a local yard a Dana 70 dual wheel axle for a rear dana 60 and they probably still have the 70. It had 4.10 gears but one of the ring gear teeth were chipped. You could probably acquire it for a decent price. Shipping might kill the deal though. As far as a truss, I personally think it is a moot point due to the sheer mass and load capabilities of the axle, but anything is possible. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

OK cool!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifAnyone that knows me knows I don't ship anything. I drive and get it! I'm a glutton for punishment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've been looking at axles close to where any family or friends live so I have a stopover point for thse trips.

I almost drove out to Utah awhile back to get some axles for my truck.

Given the way I drive. I need all the reinforcement I can get. I've had this thing airborn a few times but I keep breaking it, So now I really need to get some HD stuff under it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif