Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raising the gas tank---How to?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, May 22, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

What is involved in raising the gas tank on a K5? Since I am making a rear bumper it would be real easy to do. Can a shade-tree mechanic like myself do this??

Thanks
    Ross

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I just went and put a cell in the bed of mine.Got tired of hitting the tank and causing leaks.But I would say if you have a body lift you could change the mounting points of the straps.Without a BL I don't think it culd be raised enough to be worth it.The filler tube would be into the bed.Brady

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at doing this too. The two crossmembers that the tank sits between would have to be cut since they wrap over the top of the tank. I'm not sure yet how to get the tank to actually fit up into the frame because the weld seams stick out so far, they'd probably have to be bent down against the tank. I guess if you could get a poly replacement tank it would be easier since it wouldn't have the weld seams. If anyone has any ideas or has done this we'd be glad to hear from ya!

The more I look at it, the more I think a fuel cell is the way to go since it would just be easier... anyone know where to get a 30 gallon fuel cell??