Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rally rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Jan 16, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

was thinking about painting my rally rims black because i cant afford new ones they are currently the same color as the truck (desert tan) any body ever painted their rims black and liked it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a lot of people telling me that my black rims are "white trash" to which i say "Would you like a spoon?" and they say "what". My response, "so you can eat my arse". Its a personal preferance. Ive got some grey ones and they dont look half bad with beauty rings on them.

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah ive got some cheap trim rings and center cap for it

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As was said, its personal preference.

Me, I think they look kinda cheap, like white wagon wheels. Don't get me wrong though, thats MY opinion. If you like it, do it. I think about ricers when I think about black wheels /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For some reason I really like the silver (argent actually I think) wheels that GM did on most Chevy's, for some reason the silver just seems to set them apart a bit, but not so much that you focus only on the wheels. (because the body style's were usually so great!)

It's subdued...not flashy, not transparent, just there.

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Well I must be a cheap poor white trash Bitch
    because I like black wheels /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    But to each is there own.
    Bo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I like the argent appearance. Plastikote paint company makes a paint they call "steel wheels" silver#618 that is very close to the GM argent. Just clean the wheel real good and prime it. paint it any color you like!

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had my factory 15x8 steel rally wheels powdercoated black and I like the way they look. I left off the center caps and trim rings and turned the white letters to the inside. I think it looks realy sharp.

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah i think i might hold off for a while i painted my spare black and wasnt happy with it maybe ill try some argent it might not look bad except that my truck is tan

9. BSav

BSav Registered Member

I'm going through the same problem with my PU. I've decided to stick with white wagon wheels because they look good on my truck. I am not painting them I am going to have them powder coated white. The guy thats going to do it for me says the powder coat will last twice the life as paint. I'm doing it because I live in the North East and they salt the roads allot and I'm not too much a fan of the rust ring that forms.
    The wheels are 16.5 tall and 9.75 wide and he is burning the paint off and sandblasting them then powder coating them for about 80$ a peice. The price depends on the size, and their are many colors to choose from when you decide what color you are going for.
    Hope this helps
    Brian Sav

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think they look good with trim rings on them. i think black wheels have that "down and dirty non- pretty" look to them..who needs fancy chrome wheelswhen ur just ganna yuck them up over and over again..

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i agree thats why you see alot of cheep chrome rims with all that rust in the creases

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Don't rattle can them black. Rustoleum makes some "Professional" metal flake paint that is pretty durable. It's expensive at $5/can but it was still good when I retired those tires and wheels after a Michigan winter.

I can only find one picture that's moderately good of my old wheels. http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/beforepainted-072002/beforepainted2.jpg

They look pretty good when you paint them the same color as your truck and then put beauty rings on them.

Black wagon wheels are cool when you've got $200+/each tire mounted on them. They're alright for snow tires. All of them look better with blackwalls out.

13. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

well my rims are already the same color as my truck tan(yuck) and my tires are mounted rwol out and they were only $145 each

14. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about doing the same thing, black out the rims cause my truck is 2 tone black and red with lots of chrome, so i'd black out the argent wheels and put all the trim and chrome rings back on, i'll have to see how it looks though

15. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

try it with the spare first like i did