Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram Air vs. Turbo?????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Crunk_K5_1984, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

I was wondering.... Why should I spend an untold amount of mony buying a Banks or similar turbo for my 6.2 when I could get a few pieces of metal and plastic and fab a forced air induction??? I could cut a slit in the hood and stretch it upwards to look like a custom ram air hood. And run a 4" line to the air intake, I'd be getting forced air induction as soon as I took off. I don't know if it'll all work out, but it looks good on the drawing board in my head. If anyone can offer suggestions on this as far as do's and don'ts, it'd be great. Cheers!

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

The stock intake is in the front of the grill...that seems pretty ram-air to me. Some people have modified that to flow better, but I wonder if you changed the Airbox into a bent pipe the same size as the manifold if that would keep the airspeed up and increase the ram air effect...any thoughts?

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You mean something like this:

http://community.webshots.com/album/50474928oKhAOa

Hand built out of 4" PVC pipe and taken to the air cleaner via a 4" to 3" rubber PVC drain pipe adaptor. The large 90deg thing that you see is the snorkel to keep the water out when I go playing in lakes. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

mine does the whole ram air affect. i have an all out snorkel though. im gonna b sellin them soon for $100 or under complete kits with everything(cept the stock air filter and assemly.)
    www.geocities.com/yz80foxracer/snorkle.html

o ya, its bee breathin a BA 350 and will have a 454 in a week with an edelbrock. I guess ill getta see how well it really does when it needs to suck a lot of air

NITRO

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

What you would end up with using the system you describe is COOL air induction, which is good, but not anywhere near enough positive pressure(boost) to approach the gains from a turbo.

6. 4x4dreamer

and Ram-Air is speed sensitive. It only becomes effective when the vehicle gets to a speed that causes the air to be rammed in the intake. Might be cool used in conjunction with a Turbo though, but gains would probably be minimal.

7. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

You're also never going to get the level of forced induction with ram air that you could get with a turbo or supercharger. I think I've read that with a prefectly sealed ram air system, you might get 1 psi of manifold pressure at 80 mph. Compare that to 5 to 40 psi you get with a turbo. The Banks turbo on a 6.2 will get to about 10 psi max.

8. Crunk_K5_1984

[ QUOTE ]
    The Banks turbo on a 6.2 will get to about 10 psi max.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What about a supercharger? How would it affect the engine..?

9. Crunk_K5_1984

[ QUOTE ]
    The stock intake is in the front of the grill...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where? The guy that owned my K5 before me must have took the turbo off, there is no air intake route to the grill, just a hole in the filter housing...

10. 4x4dreamer

In the grill on the passenger side, near the top, left of the radiator there should be a hole. On a stock truck there was a funky intake that ran from there to the air cleaner. The Previous Owner of my truck chopped mine in half so I'm not getting the cold air, but I'm gonna fix it. I hear that there is a punch out on the the driver's side of the grill to put an intake there as well, and there is a guy (Lee Swanger I believe) who makes a dual intake Air Cleaner so you can use both sides and get more air. The intake being in the grill oughta get you SOME ram effect at higher speeds, but probably not much, but the air is very cool. However if you're going offroad through any water, it's gonna suck it right up into the engine.

11. Crunk_K5_1984

[ QUOTE ]
    However if you're going offroad through any water, it's gonna suck it right up into the engine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Guess I'll have to rig a water collector huh? Any ideas.....?

12. 4x4dreamer

Why not just get a snorkel. I've seen 'em build out of PVC (sk-15) that stick onto the stock hole in the grill, or that come out the side and up the A Pillar. Some guys even have them suck air from the Cab so no water at all can get in. Nobody makes on for our truck specifically, but some can be adapted. I'm still trying to decide what to do with mine, but I have some ideas.

13. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Actually, the M1009 CUCV K5 didn't come with the air hose from the grill to the filter housing. Probably to prevent problems with water fording. Also the CUCV has both Batteries mounted on the passenger inner fender and the front batt. effectively blocks the cut-out for the air hose.

14. 4x4dreamer

I did not know that..I'm speaking, of course, from my civie model. Do they have the punchouts for the intakes?

15. 4x4dreamer

I did not know that..I'm speaking, of course, from my civie model. Do they have the punchouts for the intakes?

16. steelsoldiers

They should... check right next to the radiator at about headlight level on the pass. side. Mine has the cut-out with three or so tabs still attached to the grill/radiator support. It looks like I could just pop it out with a Dremel tool or BFH and attack the hose. I'm guessing there is some sort of adapter that goes in the hole that the hose is clamped to??

17. 4x4dreamer

Like a Big F'n piece of PVC /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. steelsoldiers

Yep, and half a roll of duct tape /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    However if you're going offroad through any water, it's gonna suck it right up into the engine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Guess I'll have to rig a water collector huh? Any ideas.....?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you notice in this picture if any water gets into my system I need a tank of air as well!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/50474801/50474863duukFz

20. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What about a supercharger? How would it affect the engine..?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the superchager. Likewise the boost you get from a turbo depends on what size turbo you get. The turbo that Banks uses will make about 10 psi of boost max on a 6.2. If you got the right sized turbo you could make 30-40 psi of boost on a 6.2. However, the 6.2 is only strong enough to hold up under about 10-15 psi of boost max.