Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram-assist steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeffro, Sep 19, 2002.

1. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Being a rainy day today, I was bored and decided to disassemble a steering gear to see what maked it tick. I've come to the conclusion that someone with a decent mechanical aptitude and a couple tools could drill and tap his own gear box for ram fittings. Further, modifying a pump to put out a little more than stock is pretty straightforward, requiring only removal of the relief valve and punching out the port and increasing the spring tension. Additionally, all the parts required, cylinder, fittings and hoses, are available at TSC. My question is: Why would anyone pay upwards of 1000 bux for a rock ram system unless they don't really work on their own rig?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yup, this has been discussed and determined to be a relatively simple mod. Why wouldn't people do it themselves? Time, lack of tools, inexperience, or fear of modifying something as important as the steering by themselves. At leas taht's my take on the subject...</font color>

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I agree that's why my kit is just as good and ony cost 450 or if someone wants to find there own ram, but doesnt feel confident in tearing down a box i do all the mods for 150