Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram Assist up and running

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Apr 27, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Finally, back on road today and works great. Texasoffroad is to be commended, as all worked out. Steve Frisbie helped me out with a D60 cover the mount on it. I couldn't get the weld to hold on the cast diff housing, so went the cover method, and looks to work fine. Rock rod should be coming in, and I will post pics of how I am going to mod it to support ram. Pics at http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup49?&page=3

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Looks good Joel.

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Judging from the pictures I must have gotten it close to the right spot. Looks good even if I do say so myself LOL

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

looks awesome. can you give us some details? how, how much, where you got the parts, etc?

mike

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I like Mike's suggestion... how, how much, where you got the parts, etc? This would be a good mod if it didn't cost too much...

-Dan

6. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

i think he got them here -&gt; <a target="_blank" href=http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/hydrosteering.html>http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/hydrosteering.html</a> and MOO

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

that is an awesome setup.. looks much more appealing to me than crossover, too. Besides using the front diff cover, how else can you mount the ram to the axle?

mike

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

West Texas is where I got mine from. I welded my mounting tab onto the axle tube with about 3/8" overlapping onto the cast housing. However, it will not do the same as cross over steering. They address 2 different things. Even with hydro assist steering, you still can't turn when twisted up without cross over.

9. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

MAN YOU WILL SURE TELL THE DIFF. WITH LARGE TIRES .
    I SEE YOU STILL HAVE THE BOGGERS. WHEN ARE THE 42/15/15 T.S.L. GOING ON?

10. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

When someone gets me some 42's. I have the 39's up for sale. As far as the mods, I just followed WestTexas instructions. I have to say thanks to Matt as he helped answer my questions and knows his stuff. As far as parts. It is a crossover (ORD) and as for the box (just a 2wd from Autozone - have a friend there who let me trade in my 4wd for the core - so it equaled 165) Tapped it and welded it at home, so really nothing much in cash. The ram was from Northern for 49 and the lines were 13, plus 15 dollars in fittings. Pump was 39.99 at Autozone (this was a hydro pump w/ resevoir - only difference is two return ports on the resevoir, same pump) Welded extension on pump for extra fluid was free (2.5 exhaust pipe), cooler was 39.99 at autozone, and remote filter (dual) was 49 - one for trans, one for PS), and synthetic fluid (5 quarts) was 3.99 a quart. So all in all now that I do it that way, still some money, but nothing compared to AGR or buying a setup. As far as welding tabs go, I used scrap metal for the tie rod mount, and although the MO cover with mount was pricey (about 200) it was something I wanted to do anyway (HD cover) and the mount was just good sense considering welding onto the diff housing was a no go. I also found out (today cuz I had one side of axle jacked up), I damaged the inner seal from attempting to weld at high heat to get a tab onto the diff housing, so will have to fix that. I would not recommend attempting to weld on the diff housing as you will have to get high temps for penetration, and at certain temps, you can actually weaken the housing. You could try heating up the housing with torch, which would be less tramatic than welded at higher amperage. If you havn't dealt with Steve Frisbie, he makes good stuff, and faster than I could make it, which time is my most value commodity after family, so I sucked up the 200 for timeliness. And just for info, I had DW with the 39's, not with 35's, with no stablizer, and now with ram, I have no DW with either.

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It is a crossver (ORD)

<hr></blockquote>

what do you mean by that? Im not too familiar with all the alternate steering setups and Im not sure what youre talking about...

also baddog- why is crossover better than the ram when all twisted up?

mike

12. BadDog

I damaged the inner seal from attempting to weld at high heat to get a tab onto the diff housing

<hr></blockquote>
    Yeah, I roasted mine too. Wound up putting in both inners and the pinion too.

13. BadDog

why is crossover better than the ram when all twisted up?

<hr></blockquote>
    The ram just helps you force the tires to turn when your not rolling. Cross over allows you to turn when the axle is twisted (or severely drooped) in reference to the frame. If you're drag link is still parallel to the frame, and you get the driver's side severely drooped, you've pretty much lost the ability to steer. That's because the drag link winds up near vertical. The closer to vertical it gets, the less steering you have. Ram can't help with that. In fact, it might even cause some serious stress on the steering box that could result in damage.

14. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

CROSSOVER STEERING GIVES YOU BETTER CONTROL AND LESS BUMP STEER.
    YOU ADD THE RAM TO THE CROSSOVER STEERING SET UP TO HELP TURN THE BIG MEATS.
    CHECK MY WEB SITE YOU CAN SEE THE CROSSOVER STEERING AND THE A.G.R. ROCK RAM.
    www.baloo.rockcrawler.com

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

"In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I damaged the inner seal from attempting to weld at high heat to get a tab onto the diff housing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I roasted mine too. Wound up putting in both inners and the pinion too.

Rookies!...LOL...I'm just messing with yall. I must've been lucky.

Looks good though General.
    Boss

16. BadDog

Rookies!

<hr></blockquote>
    Hey! I resemble that remark! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif LOL.
    As for my normal luck, see my "title". /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

We've touched this issue so many times it's almost dead. I thought once that converting to crossover would eliminate bumpsteer, but I was told I was wrong. It makes sense too--the drag link goes from the frame to the axle. No matter what, when the axle moves, so will the steering. I was told the only good thing about crossover is that you still be able to steer when you're, "crossed up on some rocks" and therefore crossed it off my list of future mods.

18. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

WELL I DISAGREE WITH YOU ! CROSSING IT OFF YOUR LIST IS YOUR CHOICE IT MAY NOT BE A GOOD ONE BUT IT IS A CHOICE. I HAVE HAD BOTH AND WON'T GO BACK. SO IF SOMEONE WANTS CROSSOVER STEERING MY .02 CENTS IS GO FOR IT. THIS IS JUST THE OPINION OF A GUY THAT HAS ACTUALLY HAD BOTH STEERING SET-UPS ON HIS RIG.