Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram Assist

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Apr 13, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Ram is mounted, pump is now working great. Only problem is ram itself. The ram is plumped to box per Texas redneck box, but the cylinder won't collaspe until all the way at one side, and the dam thing wants to extend even once you get it to the collaspe side if you let up on the steering. So basically: Lock to lock on steering is fine, but cylinder only responds to flow when at limits of box? Anyone have a clue, the only thing I can think of is air in the system that needs to be bleed, and not sure how to go about that, and not even sure if that is it. I also am running a filter on the return line, but not sure how that would be effecting system. Might try and hook up a bypass to that if no other suggestions. Is there such a thing as too much pressure in a system? Any hep would be appreciated.

2. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Well it sounds like youve got the truck up on jacks or the ram isnt hooked to the tierod yet?Either case true?The ram needs to have resistance on it to respond.If you were to disconnect the drag link the ram would only move the tires when the steering box went to full lock on either side because theres no resistance to send the fluid to that side of the ram.Make sense?

3. TheGeneral

Sort of. By looking at it and dumb grunt logic, I would think the fluid does the resistance in a closed loop system. IE: Pressure eqaulity both sides of piston in cylinder, expect when pressure from either port becomes great while the other becomes lesser, thus the piston moving in the cylinder from side to side with even the littlest of input as long as it has some from either port (side). I will hook it back up to tie rod tommorrow. Broke the welded tab off, yea, yea, I know I should have checked to make sure ram was in right direction before trying to go to lock (thought I had that worked out actually), so welded tab on axle broke, after it broke, notice poor penetration anyway, so tommorrow a little hotter and bevel the 1/4" tab. All for fun, LOL. Anything else come to mind let me know. Thanks.

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

It takes awhile to get the air out. I have wheeled mine hard and every once in a while it pucks out some more air. It should cycle without it hooked up to the tie rod, but it will need some resistance to get the air out. As a side note I built a bolt on clamp that holds the ram end on the tie rod. I can loosen it up and adjust the tie rod without taking the ram loose. I am going to try and get some pics up in a few days.

5. TheGeneral

The tie rod tab was not a problem, plenty strong too, and the other issue for the axle housing was just penetration. Will get that fixed tomorrow, and do some bleeding work tomorrow. Will take pics also. Sapper has been helping me out. Be interested to see you bolt on kit.

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The axle end of my ram mounts to one of my Dana 44 covers in double shear brackets.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Be careful with the welding on the axle. Apparently I got mine too hot and lost the inner seals. I didn't break any welds loose but I had to park on level ground (not easy to find on Lower Terminator!) to keep from puking out all my gear oil! Oh what fun, I get to put in new seals. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

BTW, I had no trouble bleeding my system. Added fluid, cycled about 6-8 times, adding fluid every cycle or two (especially in the beginning). I even hit a line with the tire on the trail and loosened the fitting, which dumped enough fluid to put air in the lines. Fixed the line, topped her off, and within a few minutes, working fine again.

8. BadDog

You know, I was thinking of making a bracket for my ram on the tie rod. My idea was based on the brackets you make for your trusses and stuff. Just some 2.250 x .250 tube, weld some "bolt tubes" to the sides, split it, and call it good. Nobody (that would sell small amounts reasonable) had the right size tube and I ran out of time so I just welded it on. My tie rod is 1.75 x .375 so finding the right tube for the bracket was a problem. I may cut it off later and do it again. I like the idea of the adjustment for fine tuning the ram stroke AND adjusting the tie rod. My ram stroke is a little less than 1/8 off right now, I’ll probably pop the TRE and spin them 1 turn to move the link over roughly 1/16 while I’m in there replacing the inner seals I cooked.

How did you mount to the cover? My tie rod comes way to close to the stock cover to put the ram in between. Did you mount it to the flat side? Sounds like a good idea. It would also allow me to move the ram over toward the passenger side a bit which would be good for spring clearance.

9. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

sounds like youve got everything mounted correctly just mount the ramand it sould work fine.

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I used 2 1/2" thick by 3" square block of steel. I crossdrilled a 1 1/4" hole (the size of my tie rod). I then sliced it in half with a bandsaw. I drilled and tapped four 3/8" holes in the corners to clamp it on. On one side I attached the tabs for the ram. The axle end mounts to the side of the cover. Seems to work great. I will try to get some pics up asap.

11. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I noticed that "brick" on your tierod at Disney! It looked pretty sweet! I was unsure as to where you found it, but now I know! Would you make me one? My setup that is currently installed is constantly slipping...

BTW - I still have the cover, haven't forgotten you. I will ship very soon. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Thanks Steve!

12. BadDog

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

14" hole

<hr></blockquote>
    Wow! That's a big hole! And I've just GOT to see that 14" diameter tie rod!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm doing my best at wasting time to avoid pulling my axle appart today. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Nice, but I don't have the facilities for something like that. Do you think the split tube idea (like your truss) would hold up to the ram?

13. TheGeneral

Got the Ram on and all works well, except can't keep the darn axle mount to stay welded. Broke it twice and it is that darn cast iron housing, so going to look at the cover mmounted type. Steve, I emailed you about it. Talk about assist, the dam thing turns way easy.

14. BadDog

I ground out a .250 wide slot so my tab would overlap the housing, but most of it would be welded to the tube. I cut a bevel and welded it solid all the way around to the tube. I let that soak in as a sort of pre-heat, and then I welded it to the casting with a little less heat. I was going to wrap it with fiberglass but, I was running late, getting lazy, and needed to let it cool so I could finish up (on Friday night before a Sat run). Apparently I got it too hot and lost the seals but, I really beat on it Saturday with no problems.

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Hey BadDog, are you using the stock hydroboost external reservour, and if so, what size ram? I couldn't get mine to bleed with the stock setup, and ended up cutting the top of the reserviour, adding in 5 1/2", and welding it back together (about 9 1/2" tall now). I'm running a 2 x 8 ram, and using the stock oil cooler (in the radiator) as a PS cooler.

Pete

16. BadDog

My HB pump does not have the remote reservoir. It looks just like a regular pump but the reservoir is considerably bigger and has 2 return lines. I had to grind a bit out of the gas engine brackets and dent the pinch weld to get the thing in there. My ram is a 2x8 Chief. I didn't get the cooler in before Saturdays run so it was basically the stock K30 HB system with a ram plugged in.

I do plan to add extra capacity with tube top extension like Titanic, or maybe plump in a remote reservoir along with the factory gas reservoir (my HB pump is leaking at the pinch weld where I had to bend it over /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ). I want to add a considerable capacity reservoir to it but haven’t figured out exactly how I want to go about it yet...

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My buddy needed more capacity on his Sami w/ full hydro, running a stock 4.3 Vortec pump. He did the fuel filler hose trick, and then cut the neck off an old pump I had, and just hose clamped it to the top end. Worked good, and he is able to use a stock cap.

Pete

18. BadDog

Yep, that's the direction I'm leaning. However, I thought it would be nice to add still more capacity. I'll probably just do the tube extension though.

19. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Here is a so so picture of the tie rod mount I make.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mo-offroad.com/ram1.jpg>www.mo-offroad.com/ram1.jpg</a>