Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ram assist?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Sep 30, 2002.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i am wanting to add ram assist to the steering on my blazer, i know where all the fittings have to be on the gear box, but can i drill the one in the end of the box with it still on the box, or would it be better to pull it off. also if i do pull it off what is the asiest way to take it off and put it back on. thanks

Chris

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Check out the steering box mods WTO has changed to. They do not drill the end of the box anymore. The drill the case. I do not have any pics of mine, but if no one has comes up with some, I can take a few tonight.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have a unique view of this...

Back in the 1960's GM used a ram assist before the advent of the saginaw p/s box. It used a valve that mounted between the pitman arm and the rest of the tie rods. The system worked fairly well but was very noisy because the valve senses every slight movement back and forth...

I wonder if the old style valve would have any use in a hydro assist?

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of BadDog's box. WTO has made it standard issue for there box modification.

[​IMG]

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

is the other one still drilled in the cap where the adjust screw is?

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    is the other one still drilled in the cap where the adjust screw is?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Take another look at the pic. You can barely make out the top plate, but it is not modified. Both taps go into the sector housing on the side of the spool valve. One on top, the other on the bottom... The hoses with the shiny 90* fittings are for the ram. It's a very clean job.

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

oh ok i see now, is there anyway you could email me a closer pic of both of thoses locations?? thanks chris

8. BadDog

How about this.
    [​IMG]

9. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

same pic as above but i think if i study it long enough i will figure it out!!! if not theres tons of 2wd gear boxes out there!!! lol. thanks

10. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

ok thats messed up i just viewed the pic again and its closer, the first time it look identical to the other pic distance wise!! damn computer!!!

11. BadDog

LOL, man you are QUICK! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif When I posted, I forgot to change the link that I copied from the first pic. I had it edited and fixed within 60 seconds or so, you just slipped in and caught me! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

lol, well thats nice, atleast i know it aint my damn computer now!!! it helps i have broadband! by the way what size lines you running on that, and fittings?

13. BadDog

BTW, there is more to it than just where to tap it. If you don't do it right, you'll screw up the spool valve or worse... Believe me, what Matt provides for $399 is well worth it. I could probably save $100 at MOST doing it myself, if I could find decent suppliers, run around, call around, gather it up, and then do the mods (which requires full disassembly). But it just aint worth it to me. If you've seen my posts, you know I don't farm out much. This is almost the only thing on my rig I didn't do myself, and, if I had it to do over, I would give the business to Matt again with no hesitation.

14. BadDog

IIRC, they are 6 AN on the sector, but I wouldn't swear to that without rechecking... On the cylinder, they are 1/4 NPT I believe...

15. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i have been debating that anyway, maybe dish out the money for a ck5 membership and use that discount. so your saying the whole thing needs dissasembled?

16. BadDog

Yep, those taps must be placed *exactly*. Close isn't good enough. When you tap there, if it's off too much, it will try to cycle all the way to one side when you don't hold the wheel. Also, those fittings generally protrude on the inside and must be clearanced to avoid damaging the spool. At least that is my understanding from talking to Matt.

17. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

done deal, sounds like i will contact wto shortly for more info then i will buy after i get my ck5 membership. thanks alot.

18. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Chris,
    I purchased the whole setup from Matt at WTO, including the freshly rebuilt box. He only charged $50 more for a rebuilt box and would give me the $50 for my core when I sent it in. However, I ended up selling my 2 wheel drive box on this site. If you buy the complete kit and then send in a core, you won't have as much down time. It was really nice to have everything there I needed to do the install.

19. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i just emailed him and just payed for my ck5 membership!!! bye bye blue!!!! appreciate all the help guys thanks.