Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram Assist

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Mar 19, 2003.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Ok, looks like my dad can get me access to Hydo Cylinders for a LOW Price. So, is there a down side if has one a ram that that is too long? What if you had one that when to say 9 inch or 10 in of travel and was 2 inch in diameter?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A ram with too much stroke will break the knuckle right off of the axle, and a 2" cylinder is going to steer WAY slow. Some rock buggies use the 2" rams but for the street WTO doesn't generally recommend anything bigger than 2". </font>

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i have the 2"and it is slow, but it is also tolerable. You really only notice it on the street say like turning from a stop and you need to make a fast left turn it feels like it is dragging. If you do any say high speed or just like to haul butt down the dirt roads I would shy away from it. I rarly drive it on the street and dont like top go fast down the dirt roads so it suits my needs.

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Does it go slow even with the pump mods WTO has on there site.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

yes, i don't exactly remember why (i think the mods just flow more fluid than flow faster)

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I looked at there site again it sounds like if you do all the mods they increase pressure and volume. I will have to send them an e-mail to clarify.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Try some searches, I know I have answered these questions literaly dozens of times.

Basically:

2" is generally too slow at idle, but not bad above 1k or so.

1.5 - 1.75 is generally a good ballance of power and speed. Larger bore for larger, heavier rigs with larger tires. 1.5" mostly for buggies, jeeps, etc.

Put the system together and try it before you start modifying the pump. You may be surprised how well it does and you'll have a baseline to work from.

*If you need to*, do the mods one step at a time starting with flow. Increasing the flow speeds up the response, increasing pressure (spring shims) makes it stronger. Higher pressure has frequently led to broken pumps. Literally busting the casting! So avoid the pressure mods if you can. Volume is probably all you'll need at the most, and do those one drill size at a time.